It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: a few questions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:55 pm 

well i have taken a few programming classes so i know programming basics and i have taken graphics design classes. but i dont know how to incorporte the two togather. any poplular programs out? any tutorials? thanx for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:15 pm 

Does this have anything to do with NESdev? If not, I don't think I can help you, and I believe you are in the wrong place, because we don't like to talk about programming other systems than the NES. Sorry, don't mean to be rude or anything...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:28 pm 

well im wondering how to develop nes. is there a good compiler or progam? are there any tutorials for nes dev?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:51 pm 

There are many linked off the main site: nesdev.com . I suggest learning the 6502, getting a good graphics editor like YY-CHR, and reading a NES tutorial like GBA guys tutorials. VERY IMPORTANT: GBA guy's tutorials are crap once you've read them, and have understood them. He does many incorrect things, and he often says he doesn't know what he's talking about. But for some reason, they did give me a good boost into the world of NESdev. His website I believe has expired, and exists no more, but I saved his tutorials on my computer a long time ago, and uploaded them on my website:

www.freewebs.com/the_bott/gbaguy.zip

I will probably be bombarded by people saying to not suggest those tutorials to anyone but the trash can, but I just suggest you read through them, even though in the end they'll prove to be nothing but wasted PC memory. He shows how to include a graphics file in a ROM, he doesn't really explain it, but he shows you how to do it. Just read through those, but first read through some 6502 docs. There are many on the main site. Come back if you have any questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:55 pm 

If you've taken recent programming classes, then I'm assuming that you took courses in C++ and some higher level languages. If this is the case, I suggest you look into NESHLA.

On the other hand, if you want to get near and dear to your NES, you'll want to program in 6502 assembly. If you don't know that, go ahead and start learning. I have some time in programming (not officialy of course, just a little schooling), and I've been finding it hard to think in terms of the machine as opposed to 'If' statements and the like. I find it more interesting to try and learn in this way. I haven't been studying like I should though :oops:

Check out the main page of this site and start scanning through some of the documents there to get an idea, but I suggest learning 6502 assembly first. There's a book by Rodnay Zaks that's pretty good for that. It's called 'Programming the 6502' (go figure). It's something else ;)

EDIT: Celius beat me to it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:06 pm 

It's okay though. Both posts provide a fair amount of different info :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:14 pm 

thanx. i cant do this right no because its gettnig late here but ill try them out tomarrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:01 pm 

Roth wrote:
If you've taken recent programming classes, then I'm assuming that you took courses in C++ and some higher level languages. If this is the case, I suggest you look into NESHLA.

On a side note, I was unable to deal with HLA. It is useless crap in my opininon. Not only it does merge standards from C and ASM, but also it disables you to use code pasted from anywhere else, it doesn't allow simple commands like "include" and all it's "libraries" are just crap such as routines that pushes a on the stack or something like that.