Pixel Artist looking for guidance and coder (Paid)

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Beechris84

Pixel Artist looking for guidance and coder (Paid)

Post by Beechris84 »

Hi guys,

I want to make a game for the nintendo and that is why I have joined this forum.
Is this community similar to other communities where expert coders can be hired to complete projects. Ideally I would want to hire someone who had vast experience at pushing the limits of the console and also would have the knowledge base to help with the production in any way.
Ideally if someone wanted to produce a contract with me and work out of passion then perhaps we could make a profit together but honestly, this is more a personal thing than a money making venture.

I am not interested in learning how to code myself due to preferring to spend my time on pixel art.
Please let me know if this is a possible request to hire coders for old systems and share any of your opinions on the matter.

Thanks
Chris
tepples

Re: Pixel Artist looking for guidance and coder (Paid)

Post by tepples »

The first thing to do when asking for contract help from coders is to draft a game design document. At an early phase, it might include a brief description of the game play system and story and some mock screenshots. Essentially, it tells us what you want us to help make for you.
Beechris84

Post by Beechris84 »

Yeah i figured as much as that.
So it is possible for games to be made on the nes then and people have done so on these forums.
Interesting. I will take your advice and have something less vague to show.
Thanks
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Beechris84 wrote:So it is possible for games to be made on the nes then and people have done so on these forums.
Yes, this does happen. Most programers aren't "pushing the limits of the system" though... not because of lack of knowledge on how to do so, but lack of time to create something so big. Most programmers figure it's better to keep the scope small and actually finish their games than work on something grandious that will be abandoned along the way.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Is this community similar to other communities where expert coders can be hired to complete projects.
Nope, we are barely hobbyst and can hardly manage to get what we wanted to do ourself done in the 1st place. Doing what someone else want is yet another thing, it has both hudge advantages and huge inconvenients, however I haven't heard of such a "mercenary homebrew work" being done yet - not that this can't be done, just that I don't think it has been done yet.

There have been several (I think at least 4) guys coming and said on their 1st post they want to pay someone to make them a NES game, saying they are "very serious" etc, and all of them vanished after a few days.
tepples

Post by tepples »

New NES games shipped with instruction booklets. But nowadays, when you buy a used NES game, it usually won't come with the manual, so you have to learn to play without the manual. What I'm at least looking for is the opposite: a manual without a game. So if you can write the manual, someone here might be willing to help you make the game.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

So, basically this post is a job opportunity post seeking applicants. I don't think you'll get too good a response here this way, as there are too few qualified applicants here, in my opinion. There are a lot of people making homebrew, but only a handful I think are capable of taking on a professional quality NES development project. Also, people come by here (and elsewhere) with game ideas all the time. For someone who has been watching a long time, it's normal to see people come excited about a project, and then give up a week or a month later when they lose interest in the work. Most homebrew projects go that way, so it may be hard for you to create interest in a project without some good evidence that you are committed to it.

I would suggest taking the inverse approach: find existing NES homebrew projects that you think are good quality, and then approach their authors directly with your proposal. If you are lucky, and have enough to offer, you may find someone capable who is willing to work for you.
Beechris84

Post by Beechris84 »

Appreciate the feedback guys.
This has helped me get to grips with the difficulties of new home-brew production, given me a better idea of the climate of the forums and essentially how my post is nothing new.

I think showing some investment in the first place is the way to go forward. Mock screenshots, sprites animated, faux tech demo perhaps.

Thanks

Chris