It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Attribute / Tile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:04 pm 

gauauu wrote:
Well, I am using 4x4 metatiles. But doing free all-directional scrolling - it's not obvious to me why I need to read the attribute tables for that, am I missing something?
(I'm using 4 name tables, if that makes a difference)

Even if you do have the off-screen space for updates in all directions (which you do because you're using 4 name tables), you still have to deal with the fact each name table is 30 tiles tall, and that number is not divisible by 4, so in every other vertical name table the attributes of your 4x4 metatiles will be misaligned with the attribute table, meaning you'll have to shift and mix attributes from different metatiles (or a buffer in RAM) to form the final attribute bytes.

That is, unless you take the easy way out, which's truncating the bottommost row of metatiles in every screen, using only the top half, so that attributes never misalign. That's as easy as 8-way scrolling gets, but I think it's weird to pretend that sections of your level maps don't exist.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:27 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
That is, unless you take the easy way out, which's truncating the bottommost row of metatiles in every screen, using only the top half, so that attributes never misalign. That's as easy as 8-way scrolling gets, but I think it's weird to pretend that sections of your level maps don't exist.

Heh, after a lot of thought and internal debate, that's exactly what I'm doing. I started writing the routines to do the mis-aligned metatiles, and said "forget this" -- so yeah, sections of my level maps won't actually exist :-/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:42 pm 

Yeah, that simplifies the rendering code a lot, but slightly complicates the logic side, since now you'll also need to skip those rows when testing for collisions, meaning you'll probably need a few Y >= 240? checks here and there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:56 am 

Yup. Most of the checks are pretty simple so far. The only annoying ones I've hit at this point are checking for characters that span the 240-px boundary. Might be worth tracking y2 for each character just to avoid having to recompute that at each collision check.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:10 pm 

Use the hidden data to label your maps, mayhap~

Or use it to spell out another message.

I asked this question, or close to it.