Gbs 8220?

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Chris

Gbs 8220?

Post by Chris »

Hi. Does anyone know if it's possible to feed the Gbs 8220 a composite video signal from an NES? The Gbs 8220 obviously has a VGA input and I see that you can get VGA to composite cables, normally used for PC to TV. Do these work?

I'm considering one as an all purpose scaler for my consoles. My NES is the only console that does not have RGB, component or VGA.

Any input is appreciated and I'm willing to listen to alternative suggestions.

Chris.
lidnariq

Re: Gbs 8220?

Post by lidnariq »

As a dirty hack ... you could plug the NES into that converter's component Y input. NES games will play as black-and-white, but it should at least work.

Unfortunately, the NES's 2C02 natively emits composite, and there's no trivial modification to do better. You could use an external composite-to-RGBS converter, or you could get a NESRGB and/or HDNES mod kit.
Chris

Re: Gbs 8220?

Post by Chris »

Thanks for the reply!

The dirty black and white trick is good to know thanks.
I'm aware of the NES mods available but they are a little too pricey for me.

I read online that there are "fake" 8220's. Is there a difference in performance between the "real" and "fake" units or are they just identical clones? And does the dual output model offer anything else over the single output model?

Thanks,
Chris