It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:40 pm 

Hi everyone. Not so long ago, I began to study this infamous multicard. It turned out that all the games in it have a standard PRG weight - 32 kilobytes (except of The Cheetahmen and Billy Bob).
Unfortunately, in spite of the low weight of these games code, extract all of the game from the collection could not be without problems. Games such as Ooze, Chill Out, Bits and Pieces and some others refused to work as it should, or start up a completely different game.
Each of the games from Action 52 can be found in these bytes: 4C 12 80 EA EA EA 4C.
But again, some of them do not work properly and become unstable. Please help me with this problem (I collect rare rums, and it is especially important to me).
P. S .: Also I've been looking for a ROM of "The Cheetahmen - The Creation".
Thank you in advance. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:47 pm 

Many of the isolated games from Action 52 don't work at all, even when extracted. You may well need to fix them to get around the egregiously bad code that made it in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:09 pm 

Quote:
found in these bytes

4C 12 80 - Jmp to $8012
EA - NOP
EA - NOP
EA - NOP
4C (## ##) - Jmp to (address omitted)

I have to disagree with your interpretation of these bytes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:58 pm 

If you're ripping these games as individual roms, and they're not working properly, then maybe they rely on the boot loader's initialized state of the system in order to function correctly. And setting them up to run without the boot loader (menu handler code) is the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:12 am 

tomaitheous wrote:
If you're ripping these games as individual roms, and they're not working properly, then maybe they rely on the boot loader's initialized state of the system in order to function correctly. And setting them up to run without the boot loader (menu handler code) is the problem.

Yeah, I understand. But how to do it? I am noob in assembler code. :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:15 am 

The game Ooze, taken from the Rev A version, it hangs after passing the second level. Taken with the regular version - after first level.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:46 am 

Quote:
The game Ooze, taken from the Rev A version, it hangs after passing the second level. Taken with the regular version - after first level.

Yep. That's Action 52 for ya. And this was the game (Ooze) that you can win a scholarship with...if you take a picture of the game complete screen...which noone can reach...because it's broken.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:17 am 

dougeff wrote:
Quote:

Yep. That's Action 52 for ya. And this was the game (Ooze) that you can win a scholarship with...if you take a picture of the game complete screen...which noone can reach...because it's broken.

I already reach level 5 and receive a picture. :) I only ask, how to fix that damn glitch, and how to fix non-working roms.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:24 pm 

lancuster wrote:
I only ask, how to fix that damn glitch

Go back in time and give the programmers of that game more money and more time to finish it so that the final result isn't so shitty.

As for games that work normally but not as standalone ROMs, you might have to write some bootstrap code that initializes registers and RAM the same way the menu does. You'll probably have to do some debugging to find out whether the game fails to initialize any registers or RAM locations it relies on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:55 pm 

lancuster wrote:
I only ask, how to fix that damn glitch, and how to fix non-working roms.

"only"

What you're asking is a very large task. Fixing a game could take hours or days, longer if you need to learn something in the process.

I couldn't tell you how to fix a game without first fixing it myself. There's no way to tutorialize this, it's a different problem every time. What's you're really asking for is for someone to do it for you, and you haven't even been very specific about that.

If you want to learn how to do it, understanding 6502 assembly is a bare minimum. Learn to use a debugger. Learn to take trace logs, and read them. Learn to use other tools, write Lua scripts to help visualize what's going on, etc.

In particular, if a game works in the Action 52 ROM, but not once you've extracted it, try to trace them both and compare; see where the two traces become different. In particular, look at how the game reads from RAM and what's different in the RAM it reads from. If you find this is too difficult a task, I'd suggest improving your skills by trying to do something simpler first. Pick a smaller ROM-hacking task and use it to learn, do the Nerdy Nights tutorials, make a small NES program, etc. Don't expect to be able to dive into a broken game and be able to fix it before you can do the easier things, it's work that requires a lot of preparation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:21 pm 

Honestly, it would be easier to program this from scratch than try to figure out and fix. Maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:22 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
"only"

What you're asking is a very large task. Fixing a game could take hours or days, longer if you need to learn something in the process.

I couldn't tell you how to fix a game without first fixing it myself. There's no way to tutorialize this, it's a different problem every time. What's you're really asking for is for someone to do it for you, and you haven't even been very specific about that.

If you want to learn how to do it, understanding 6502 assembly is a bare minimum. Learn to use a debugger. Learn to take trace logs, and read them. Learn to use other tools, write Lua scripts to help visualize what's going on, etc.

In particular, if a game works in the Action 52 ROM, but not once you've extracted it, try to trace them both and compare; see where the two traces become different. In particular, look at how the game reads from RAM and what's different in the RAM it reads from. If you find this is too difficult a task, I'd suggest improving your skills by trying to do something simpler first. Pick a smaller ROM-hacking task and use it to learn, do the Nerdy Nights tutorials, make a small NES program, etc. Don't expect to be able to dive into a broken game and be able to fix it before you can do the easier things, it's work that requires a lot of preparation.

How to work with RAM difference? I make RAM dump from multicard and rom, but I have no idea how to embed this differences to standalone rom. :(
By the way. Here is half-working roms, which compatible only with VirtuaNES. Some of this I had to fix graphic banks (that was easy).

admin edit: removed attachment

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:19 pm 

Please don't post ROMs of commercial games. Even broken ones from defunct companies. It sets a bad precedent.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:36 am 

I'm still waiting for a response. How to embed the differences in RAM to the game?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:48 am 

Holy shit. Really, dude? Demanding things with under a 24 hour response time?

The answer to this question, and probably most others, is in rainwarrior's post above. This isn't like making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or putting on your shoes.

If that answer doesn't suffice for you, or you're not up to the task of learning, then your two choices become: a) scour the Internet to find someone to do this for you (hint: given the complexity, likely will require you pay them -- even more so because you're working with a *commercial* game title, i.e. it's a bit shady), or b) bail entirely.