It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:00 pm 

dougeff wrote:
So I should just know how to use that package (mono) that I've never heard of before on an OS that I've never used before for an emulator that I've never used before.

Mono is an open source alternative to the .NET runtime. You've probably heard of .NET or C#? On windows you'd probably have to install the .NET runtime too as a dependency, if you didn't have it. It's pretty much the same deal here.

Mono should be available in whatever package manager your Linux version has.

Maybe eventually Mesen will get packaged too, and will be able to automatically find its dependencies for you?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:55 pm 

I see on...

http://www.mono-project.com/archived/gu ... lications/

that you have to open the terminal and type...

mono mesen.exe
(Or something)

Wasn't there another dependancy?
SDL 2
Not sure what that is either. Will have to look into it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:19 pm 

dougeff wrote:
mono mesen.exe
(Or something)

According to the readme, that's basically what its makefile does for "make run".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:16 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
Maybe eventually Mesen will get packaged too, and will be able to automatically find its dependencies for you?
You mean being able to install it via apt-get (or the like)? Unless the actual distributions actually do this themselves (highly unlikely), doesn't this imply requiring a server to act as a "repository" of sorts for the packages? I recall having to add URLs to the server list to install some packages from time to time. (I barely ever use Linux, so I may be asking a silly question.)

dougeff wrote:
Wasn't there another dependancy?
SDL 2
Not sure what that is either. Will have to look into it.
Yes, you need both Mono (because Mesen's UI is coded in .NET/C#) and the SDL2 packages installed to be able to run it. SDL2 is a wrapper for the video/audio code (e.g an alternative to using DirectX on Windows).

I admit it's not the most user-friendly experience on Linux, but coding the UI in C# is a number of times faster than using C/C++. Mesen wouldn't have a debugger at all if I had to code the UI for it in C/C++

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:31 pm 

Sour wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:
You mean being able to install it via apt-get (or the like)? Unless the actual distributions actually do this themselves (highly unlikely)

FCEUX (SDL) is packaged in Debian and Ubuntu. It's not in Fedora because before the compos, Red Hat's legal department decided that there weren't enough freely distributable NES ROMs to make a substantial noninfringing use defense an open-and-shut case.

Quote:
doesn't this imply requiring a server to act as a "repository" of sorts for the packages?

Ubuntu supports a PPA (personal package archive), a user-maintained repository hosted by Canonical.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:39 pm 

Sour wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:
You mean being able to install it via apt-get (or the like)? Unless the actual distributions actually do this themselves (highly unlikely), doesn't this imply requiring a server to act as a "repository" of sorts for the packages? I recall having to add URLs to the server list to install some packages from time to time. (I barely ever use Linux, so I may be asking a silly question.)

Yes.

Why do you think it's unlikely that Mesen could be added to some package repositories in the future? I'd think some of them would be interested in having it once it's a little bit more finished-off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:51 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
Why do you think it's unlikely that Mesen could be added to some package repositories in the future? I'd think some of them would be interested in having it once it's a little bit more finished-off.
I'd be more than happy if it was, I'm just assuming most distros would stick to more popular options (and the fact it runs on Mono may also be something that wouldn't help). I guess time will tell!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:14 pm 

Sour wrote:
the fact it runs on Mono may also be something that wouldn't help

That's exactly what the package managers are good for. They automatically grab dependencies for you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:38 pm 

Mednafen is…pretty good? It's not the latest version of FCEUX, but it's got the same core and has a debugger that runs natively.

However, it is not a GUI, so it's not the easiest to get into.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:08 pm 
NESICIDE developer

Myask wrote:
Mednafen is…pretty good? It's not the latest version of FCEUX, but it's got the same core and has a debugger that runs natively.

However, it is not a GUI, so it's not the easiest to get into.

Should I build you a NESICIDE? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:21 pm 

Har. I still use a hex editor.

It was more a judgment in the realm of the "newbie help center" where such might be a weighty consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:11 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
dougeff wrote:
-Nintendulator crashed when I tried to assign input to keyboard
Known bug elicited in older builds of Wine & Nintendulator, but I thought that Quietust had fixed that in the newest beta release?

It might be a different bug - the one I fixed was a problem where input configuration just didn't work (i.e. you could press a key all you wanted and it wouldn't detect it), not an actual crash.