It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Projectile processing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:24 pm 

I'm trying to get a decent sprite system going and I've ran into a bit of a snag with the sprite management loop. My methods before weren't very intuitive and the way it was coded sprites always started at sprite 01. My methods are running a loop indexed with X for each sprite that's on screen. I've ran into a problem with things such as bullets that need to be destroyed and spawed often. The destroying part is the problem. The way I have it set up now, the loop that runs each bullets code takes the number on screen as the index. The problem is to destroy an entity I thought I could simply decrease the this number. It doesn't work that way I know now because once you decrease this number it could end up destroying other sprites. I got away with this on my entry for the contest by hackish code, but I'm onto a new project now and I'd like to see if anyone could show me a dead simple projectile management system idea that doesn't waste to much RAM. There just bullets and all share the same code so I don't think a linked list is needed. I also tried keeping an array if each one that was active and somehow that didn't work either.

Thanks, zkip.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 pm 

For simple objects like bullets, that rarely expand their roles and do other things, I like to keep a small buffer of object slots.

Code:
bullet_x: .res (2 * NUM_BULLETS)
bullet_y: .res (2 * NUM_BULLETS)
bullet_dx: .res (1 * NUM_BULLETS)
bullet_dy: .res (1 * NUM_BULLETS)
bullet_state: .res (1 * NUM_BULLETS)

Then, a few states enums are defined:

Code:
BULLET_STATE_INACTIVE = 0
BULLET_STATE_ACTIVE = 1

If you want to spawn a bullet, you iterate over your bullets until you find one who isn't busy (or has been despawned):

Code:

spawn_bullet:
ldx #NUM_BULLETS
@bulletfind_top:
lda bullet_state, x
cmp #BULLET_STATE_INACTIVE ; this can be skipped since it's a comparison to zero, but...
bne @not_found
; We found a bullet, ID number is in X. for this example we mark it as active.
lda #BULLET_STATE_ACTIVE
sta bullet_state, x
rts
@not_found:

dex
bne @bulletfind_top
; Bullet not found
rts

Despawning is a matter of setting bullet_active to 0 for that bullet. Any property of a bullet is indexed by X specifying the bullet.

Then, you can have functions that act on certain bullets with X as a parameter for which bullet, then loop through your bullets for logic and render setup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:15 am 

I handle projectiles quite close to what Mike has posted,I also have the projectile routines for silkworm and Karnov reverse engineered if your interested in looking at it let me know.