Family BASIC Lessons

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Gilbert

Re: Family BASIC Lessons

Post by Gilbert »

Don't know, as I never used VirtuaNES myself (though it's EXTREMELY popular in Japan, especially for those using Family Basic).
There doesn't seem to have any way to reassign keys either. This makes me wonder, in that case, haven't laptop users complained already, because of its popularity? Maybe it's possible to do that by editing an INI file?

This reminded me of the IBM (now Lenovo) ThinkPad laptop line, whose keyboards still did not have the Window keys many years after the release of Win95 (until quite recently), which was quite annoying. You might repurpose some other keys for this though as far as I remember, which was a big bummer considering you have to sacrifice at least one of your Ctrl or Alt keys for this.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Lack of Super keys (sometimes called Windows keys) on a laptop isn't quite as much of a loss as one might think, as Ctrl+Esc opens the Start menu. Mostly you lose the extra window management shortcuts added over the years.

Mostly the complaints about lack of a Super key come from people in occasional threads on Hacker News (e.g. 2013 and 2017) trying to use a Model M keyboard on a Mac through a USB adapter. Normally, you'd map Command and Option to Alt and Super or vice versa. But on a keyboard without a Super key, you'd have to map left Alt to Command and right Alt to Option, as if they were the apple keys on an Apple II, II Plus, or pre-platinum IIe. Macs are one reason why Unicomp's continuation of the Model M has a Super key.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

lancuster wrote:
Pokun wrote:I'm not sure what you are talking about standard keyboard. There is only one keyboard for Famicom unless you are using a Famiclone one? Or are you running on an emulator? The emulator should emulate all keys, but it may fail to support all PC keyboards. Some emulators doesn't allow my Swedish keyboard to use all keys (I forgot which).
On the emulator. I tried to find the missing keys on the keyboard (like "GRAPH") and didn't find them. On Virtuanes doesn't want to be printed ":" and ";". Because STТONES only supports Virtuanes, I'll have to have programming on it.
Oh I see, yeah both Virtuanes and Nestopia suck because not all keys work and you can't remap them in Virtuanes. I think I typed in programs in a text file in Windows, pasted it in Nestopia with F12 and then saved it to a tape and loaded it in Virtuanes to get it to work with SSTONES.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Gilbert wrote:The online help of VirtuaNES lists some of the key assignments:
STOP: End
CLR/HOME: Home
GRAPH: Press and hold/release PageDown,PageUp
KANA: F12
Hmmm, interesting, thanks.
But how to write ":" sign? VirtuaNES can't wrote this sign from the keyboard.