Family BASIC Lessons

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

lancuster

Re: Family BASIC Lessons

Post by lancuster »

Of course, I changed the values in ROM.
In short. This problem would not exist if STTONES would support savestates from FCEU/FCEUX and Nestopia.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

lancuster wrote:Of course, I changed the values in ROM.
In short. This problem would not exist if STTONES would support savestates from FCEU/FCEUX and Nestopia.
Savestates are generally incompatible between emulators, but save RAM can usually be shared. In FCEUX this goes in the "sav" folder by default, and is an 8 KB file that should be usable with most other emulators if you just put it in the correct place and/or rename it.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

rainwarrior wrote:
lancuster wrote:Of course, I changed the values in ROM.
Savestates are generally incompatible between emulators, but save RAM can usually be shared. In FCEUX this goes in the "sav" folder by default, and is an 8 KB file that should be usable with most other emulators if you just put it in the correct place and/or rename it.
Will this work with STTONES? Will not give a black screen? Savestate from VirtuaNES weighs 25.192 bytes.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

lancuster wrote:Will this work with STTONES?
You would have to explain what STTONES means.
lancuster wrote:Will not give a black screen? Savestate from VirtuaNES weighs 25.192 bytes.
NOT savestates. I'm talking about save RAM. VirtuaNES will save it in the "save" folder by default, and it is also an 8 KB file with a .sav extension, same as FCEUX, same as most emulators will store it.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

rainwarrior wrote:
lancuster wrote:Will this work with STTONES?
You would have to explain what STTONES means.
lancuster wrote:Will not give a black screen? Savestate from VirtuaNES weighs 25.192 bytes.
NOT savestates. I'm talking about save RAM. VirtuaNES will save it in the "save" folder by default, and it is also an 8 KB file with a .sav extension, same as FCEUX, same as most emulators will store it.
File RAM does nothing, have checked more than once. Only need savestates (*.st0-.st9) completely written game with the RUN command at the end. And, seems to be, games made for STTONES, written using the real keyboard on VirtuaNES. That's why without the original keyboard, the program doesn't want to work correctly on this emulator.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

lancuster wrote:File RAM does nothing
The game has a battery backed RAM.

I believe what you need to do to use it is type the "BACKUP" command before turning the emulator off, which will preserve the program in its battery backed save RAM. (There might be a second step, "BGGET" for saving graphics too, check the manual.)

I have tried this and been able to transfer a saved program from one emulator to another by copying the .sav file.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

rainwarrior wrote:
lancuster wrote:File RAM does nothing
The game has a battery backed RAM.

I believe what you need to do to use it is type the "BACKUP" command before turning the emulator off, which will preserve the program in its battery backed save RAM. (There might be a second step, "BGGET" for saving graphics too, check the manual.)

I have tried this and been able to transfer a saved program from one emulator to another by copying the .sav file.
It's too hard for me. I've done a lot of work to optimize this program for VirtuaNES, and I really want to write and save data on it. Just tell me is it possible to optimize the special characters like ":", ";" and "*" to display them in VirtuaNES and ran it without crashing? I would also like to know why after replacing the graphics in FB, on the emulator FCE Ultra program shows an error for 2-3 seconds and then goes crazy and constantly triggered a RETURN command.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

I think that received FB games from savestates still need to turn on the keyboard, otherwise, the game is just to buggy. Maybe, should to disable the hash verification.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The hash does exactly one thing, and only one thing:

It automatically turns on the keyboard when the hash matches.

That's it. Nothing more.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

lidnariq wrote:The hash does exactly one thing, and only one thing:

It automatically turns on the keyboard when the hash matches.

That's it. Nothing more.
So, if you write a game on a modified version of FB, in the future will have to enable the keyboard to play in the game? How the game will behave on a real console?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

You should think "enabling the keyboard in the emulator" as identical to "plugging the keyboard into the Famicom"
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Now I only care about whether future games to work without the mandatory inclusion of the keyboard. As for the emulator, and on consoles.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Somewhere on one site I have found information that you can copy and paste the code in Family BASIC. How this is done, anyone tried it?
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Some emulators supports "pasting" text you have in the clipboard into Family BASIC. Nestopia and maybe Virtuanes supports this I think. It's a macro where the emulator types everything in your clipboard in the game, it takes a while if it's a big program. Copying text in Family BASIC isn't possible, best you can do is screenshot it.