Family BASIC Lessons

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

lancuster

Re: Family BASIC Lessons

Post by lancuster »

lidnariq wrote:That message, when translated, implies to me it's no longer detecting the keyboard. VirtuaNES may be only enabling the keyboard based on the hash of the file.
This error also shows on other emulators. You can see this error after changing any graphic tiles on the FB rom.
Perhaps this is due to the DIP-switches of the FB rom.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

lancuster wrote:after changing any graphic tiles on the FB rom.
That even more strongly implies that all of these emulators are only emulating the keyboard when the hash of the file is correct.
lancuster wrote:Perhaps this is due to the DIP-switches of the FB rom.
None exist. The only switch either completely enables or disables the battery-backed RAM in the Family Basic cartridge.

The first word of the message is transliterated "keyboard".
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

If it helps, the letters are:
キーボード ヲ セツゾク シテクダサイ
lancuster wrote:Image
(Pretty sure it's saying something like "please connect the keyboard" like was suggested earlier, but I don't know enough Japanese to say for certain.)

Edit: Accidentally used ラ instead of ヲ.
Last edited by rainwarrior on Tue May 16, 2017 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

It is actually:
キーボード セツゾク シテクダサイ

But yeah, it meant "Please connect the keyboard".
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Gilbert wrote:It is actually:
キーボード セツゾク シテクダサイ

But yeah, it meant "Please connect the keyboard".
Ah, thanks for the correction. I thought I'd double checked that one, but somehow I still got it wrong. :(
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yes and as Lidnariq says, that error shows up (in V3 only, earlier Family BASIC just shows a black screen when no keyboard are connected) because emulators automatically connects the keyboard when detecting one of the Family BASIC ROM hashes. But you can still connect one manually in most emulators if you have hacked the ROM. In most emulators including Nestopia you select it from a menu and in FCEUX you press Scroll Lock.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Pokun wrote:Yes and as Lidnariq says, that error shows up (in V3 only, earlier Family BASIC just shows a black screen when no keyboard are connected) because emulators automatically connects the keyboard when detecting one of the Family BASIC ROM hashes. But you can still connect one manually in most emulators if you have hacked the ROM. In most emulators including Nestopia you select it from a menu and in FCEUX you press Scroll Lock.
It doesn't working. :(
I tried, but no results. Can someone to remove this hash verification?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

lancuster wrote:
Pokun wrote:Yes and as Lidnariq says, that error shows up (in V3 only, earlier Family BASIC just shows a black screen when no keyboard are connected) because emulators automatically connects the keyboard when detecting one of the Family BASIC ROM hashes. But you can still connect one manually in most emulators if you have hacked the ROM. In most emulators including Nestopia you select it from a menu and in FCEUX you press Scroll Lock.
In FCEUX just go to the Config menu, choose Input..., and and under Famicom Expansion Port select Family Keyboard.

Other emulators should have similar things for selecting input devices
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

lancuster wrote:Can someone to remove this hash verification?
The hash verification is used to detect the Family Basic ROM and enable the keyboard automatically, if you remove it, the keyboard will still not work.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

tokumaru wrote:
lancuster wrote:Can someone to remove this hash verification?
The hash verification is used to detect the Family Basic ROM and enable the keyboard automatically, if you remove it, the keyboard will still not work.
And how to be in this case? I'm trying to adapt the ROM for VirtuaNES and I'm getting the same error. How can I bypass this verification if it can't be disabled? ScrollLock doesn't work.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

rainwarrior wrote:
lancuster wrote:
In FCEUX just go to the Config menu, choose Input..., and and under Famicom Expansion Port select Family Keyboard.

If you seen this error - this trick isn't gonna work. :(
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

lancuster wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:In FCEUX just go to the Config menu, choose Input..., and and under Famicom Expansion Port select Family Keyboard.

If you seen this error - this trick isn't gonna work. :(
It's not a "trick", it's how you connect the keyboard in FCEUX.

...and it does work. I can make the error screen appear by switching the setting to <none> and rebooting, and it recognizes the keyboard again when I set it back to Family Keyboard.

All the hash detection does is change that setting to Family Keyboard automatically, you can do the same thing manually. I can change the file hash with a trivial edit to the ROM, and it doesn't automatically set the keyboard up when I run it (i.e. error screen) but I can still plug it in via the settings no problem.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

What I meant​ was: the hash check isn't preventing the keyboard from working on the modified ROM, it's just automatically enabling it for the unmodified ROM. If you remove the hash check, the keyboard simply won't be automatically enabled for the unmodified ROM anymore, and you'll get the same error message would both ROMs, which doesn't solve your problem. Just enable the keyboard manually.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

tokumaru wrote:What I meant​ was: the hash check isn't preventing the keyboard from working on the modified ROM, it's just automatically enabling it for the unmodified ROM. If you remove the hash check, the keyboard simply won't be automatically enabled for the unmodified ROM anymore, and you'll get the same error message would both ROMs, which doesn't solve your problem. Just enable the keyboard manually.
Yeah, now its work. Thanks.
But there was another problem. The program doesn't want to identify the replaced symbols in VirtuaNES. I replaced the Shift-N, Shift-M and Shift-< on Russian (Japanese) layout to ":", ";" and "*". And the program doesn't want to define them as symbols.
Here is error screen:
err.PNG
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I'm not sure what you did? Did you just change the CHR ROM or did you hack the game's code?
That syntax error looks weird. Usually it should say what line you have an error in unless you input a command in direct mode (not using a line number). But your screenshot doesn't show any direct mode inputs.
Does the same thing happen on the clean ROM?
rainwarrior wrote:
lancuster wrote:

Ah my bad, sorry about that. Scroll Lock only toggles the enabling of the Fami keyboard inputs via your computer keyboard, it doesn't connect it.