It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: What do I need to know?
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:49 am 

First of all, I'm sorry for making an all new topic for this.

I read through some tutorials online and I'm still a bit confused, so please bare with me.

I'm familiar with development in C(++) and Flash (with which I've already developed a couple of games) and would love to jump into NES development.

With basic knowledge in both of those languages, what do I need to study and where should I go to begin some little projects for the NES? I'm capable of finding the necessary software but I haven't really found any in-depth tutorials on how code is handled.

Thank you very much in advance for any response.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:27 am 

I typed quote how to program NES end quote in Google. First result the nerdy nights tutorial. Second result shiru apostrophe s tutorial. 3rd result my tutorial. Another one was py nes period

I would learn 6502 Asm. And ask any questions here period

Parentheses dictated with spelling errors end parentheses

Edit, Android needs to improve their voice typing system. I left the errors here for humor value

Last edited by dougeff on Sat May 20, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:52 am 

I personally started out with a really simple 6502 assembly tutorial with a built in emulator of sorts for testing out your code, as far as I remember it was this one:
https://skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/

While knowledge of C/C++ and Flash itself won't be directly beneficial, working with those probably gave you enough basic experience in programming logic itself to create something in assembly, too. As evident by how short the tutorial I linked is, assembly is essentially a lot more simple. While code can easily get messy, and assembly sounds a bit scary when you've never tried working with it before, in many ways it's really easier than any other programming language.
I heard Nerdy Nights is good but outdated in quite a few fields due to a lack of knowledge about some of the NES's quirks when it was written? I never read it myself, most of what I learned was straight out of the NESdev wiki pages though, starting out with articles on the PPU and various from the "programming guide" page.