Problem with program "MultiCart 11-in-1 Loader"

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

lancuster

Problem with program "MultiCart 11-in-1 Loader"

Post by lancuster »

Hi everyone. I recently found this program on the Internet. Decided to gather my own multicart. How to add slots, I understand. But how to make the program compile the multicart - README doesn't say any word.
Who knows what to do next, please help.
P. S. program added into attach.
multicart.zip
(18.05 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Memblers
Site Admin

Re: Problem with program "MultiCart 11-in-1 Loader"

Post by Memblers »

It's a command-line program. Run cmd.exe, or in windows explorer (windows 7 at least), press shift+right click and select "Open command window here". From there you can follow what the readme says. Presumably it needs to have that "Multicart.nes", and the NES file you're adding in the same folder (though you could probably put a full directory path with the filename as the command).
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

I know it. The program was opened via the command line, I added all of 11 NROMs. How to complete the process, how to compile ROM? I am interested in.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

There is nothing to compile, according to the docs the .exe will insert it into the ROM when you add it. If you open it in a hex editor, you should be able to see it there. If the ROM is a size other than 524,304 then maybe something went wrong.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Memblers wrote:There is nothing to compile, according to the docs the .exe will insert it into the ROM when you add it. If you open it in a hex editor, you should be able to see it there. If the ROM is a size other than 524,304 then maybe something went wrong.
Already gone wrong. From 11 games only two is working. Although, the rest of the game NROM too and also should start. I also noticed that after a reset, turns on quite a different menu with other games that don't work too. How to fix it?
Multicard and screenshot are attached.
MultiCart1.rar
test multicart
(144.87 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
MultiCart-0.png
MultiCart-0.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 9146 times
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Sorry, I don't know. MottZilla is a user of this forum, don't know if he's been around recently but maybe if you send him a PM it'll give him an email notification, unless you have another way to contact him.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

That's an older MMC1 CHR-RAM based NROM multi-cart project. If I remember right there may have been something wrong with it. I did a slightly newer CHR-ROM based one that I think worked better. But unfortunately they are both very old projects that I don't know where the source code is anymore. It might just not work correctly. I might have tested with some emulator that appeared to work fine. Or maybe the PowerPAK let it work. As you can tell by the file dates it's over 7 years old.

One source of potential problems is it uses 512kb PRG-ROM and CHR-RAM.

Unfortunately I can't really help you. I did see the ROM you posted tends to crash the CPU when selecting a game. But I'm certain the project did work correctly on some emulator or the PowerPAK. Someone could make a better MMC1 multi-cart menu easily. There may already be one if you look around.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

MottZilla wrote:That's an older MMC1 CHR-RAM based NROM multi-cart project. If I remember right there may have been something wrong with it. I did a slightly newer CHR-ROM based one that I think worked better. But unfortunately they are both very old projects that I don't know where the source code is anymore. It might just not work correctly. I might have tested with some emulator that appeared to work fine. Or maybe the PowerPAK let it work. As you can tell by the file dates it's over 7 years old.

Unfortunately I can't really help you. I did see the ROM you posted tends to crash the CPU when selecting a game. But I'm certain the project did work correctly on some emulator or the PowerPAK. Someone could make a better MMC1 multi-cart menu easily. There may already be one if you look around.
I don't know where to find this version.
Most likely, your ROM uses jumpers, so the menu with no games included for a reason.
I found this program on nesworld. If there is an updated version - let me know.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

MottZilla wrote:That's an older MMC1 CHR-RAM based NROM multi-cart project. If I remember right there may have been something wrong with it. I did a slightly newer CHR-ROM based one that I think worked better. But unfortunately they are both very old projects that I don't know where the source code is anymore. It might just not work correctly. I might have tested with some emulator that appeared to work fine. Or maybe the PowerPAK let it work. As you can tell by the file dates it's over 7 years old.

I recently managed to find worked 11-in-1 multicart based on your code and program. Now just have to figure out how to delete the contents of multicart, so that anyone who wants to collect his own multicart. Will you help me in this? Here is the better multicart:
11-in-1_Version_2_(Unl).zip
(161.34 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Some games in this multicart go with the glitches. There are those that hang. How to deal with such errors?
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Fisher

Post by Fisher »

3gengames wrote:Use my multicart
Very interesting project, specially the one ROM part.
Any plans to implement NROM-256?
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Fisher wrote:
3gengames wrote:Use my multicart
Very interesting project, specially the one ROM part.
Any plans to implement NROM-256?
I should probably change the description, it handles NROM-256 as well.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

That's great!
Thank you.