Don't understand mirroring.

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: Don't understand mirroring.

Post by rainwarrior »

Part of what I liked in Bregalad's proposal seemed to be the creation of a third article besides Mirroring and PPU scrolling, which I suggested might be called Scrolling techniques.

The idea here was to have a place to outline more specific applications synthesizing Mirroring and manipulating the PPU scrolling registers into particular scrolling techniques. Sort of like that chart at the bottom of Mirroring, but explaining in more detail. The practical application of these two things rather than just the technical explanation of what they are.
Pokun

Re: Don't understand mirroring.

Post by Pokun »

Sounds like a good idea to me. Horizontal scrolling with the Sprite 0 Hit technique is mentioned in many places, and there's even a Nerdy Nights tutorial for it, but detailed information of the other common techniques is more scarce.

tepples wrote:
Pokun wrote:I can't think of any particular wiki page that needs something like that. Maybe the page about scrolling is in need of a bit lighter explanations.
That's what "The common case" at the top of "PPU scrolling" was intended for. Put the stuff needed for games that don't split at the top, and the rest is a revision of Loopy's "skinny" doc for games that split and for emulators.
I see, I guess those things requires deeper understanding of how scrolling works, and in that case you can't avoid getting technical.