Need help identifiying replacement capacitor for NES

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

matjolic

Need help identifiying replacement capacitor for NES

Post by matjolic »

In the process of modding an NES US toploader (NES-101) I broke one of the small 0.01uF ceramic capacitor on the board. I am trying to source a replacement for it (good to have lying around I guess, they are everywhere on the board) They are much smaller than the ones found on the original frontloader (NES-001), lead spacing is 2.5mm. It is simply marked 103, which I'm guessing reads 10000pF, thus 0.01uF.

My question is exactly what type of capacitors are these? Ceramic disk capacitor such as https://ca.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... 3Y5PH63L2R? Or an MLCC ceramic capacitor such as https://ca.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... 15X7RF5TL2?

I looked around but couldn't seem to find a specific answer to this. Thanks!
lidnariq

Re: Need help identifiying replacement capacitor for NES

Post by lidnariq »

Not an MLCC. MLCCs have higher series resistance, and so aren't great for bypass capacitors like in the NES.
matjolic

Post by matjolic »

Ok, thank you for your response. So is a 10% 100VDC rated disc capacitor like the D103K43Y5PH63L2R that I linked to above a good choice? I have been searching on Digikey and Mouser, and most of what comes up is MLCC type. Does anyone have a reference to what they use in a case like this?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Yeah, that's fine.

I'm a little surprised that that is literally the only capacitor that Mouser Canada has that's 10nF and 0.1" leg spacing, but ... ok then.
matjolic

Post by matjolic »

I know right! I'm surprised too. I looked up Digikey, and I just can't specify it not being MLCC, even if I'm not in that category, if I read the datasheet for one of the caps from my search in the ceramic disc capacitor category it ends up being MLCC. argh...