It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:03 am 

Hi,
I'm currently working on a Paperboy Hack and I'd like to replace/rearrange some tiles on the title screen. I actually once figured out how to rearrange tiles on the Donkey Kong's title screen but the thing is, I have absolutely no idea how to do it on Paperboy's title screen. I'm using the FCEUX's Hex Editor.

Reference picture
-basically all I want to do is to make the highlighted tiles say something different
(and no, it can't be done by editing text in the ROM File memory)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:42 am 

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/ -- specifically http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?board=13.0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:49 am 

Melasauce wrote:
(and no, it can't be done by editing text in the ROM File memory)

Why can't that be done? Debug, nametable viewer will show you the background. Mousing over a letter will show you that letter's tile ID in the bottom right. Just search for the word using these IDs in the hex editor. view, ROM file. edit, find. Type the IDs of the letter you want to change in order without spaces and search as hex. To find what to replace them with, debug PPU viewer and mouse over that to get those tile IDs.

The parts you want to change don't have every letter available in same font (which is why my WHY NOT? is a different font). You can add new letters pretty easily with YY-CHR, though, there's free space.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:37 am 

That and the tilemap looks compressed. This makes things a bit trickier, as you have to reverse engineer the format and edit not only the tile numbers but also the control bytes if you want to make any line longer. But based solely on the given hex dump, it appears to be Konami RLE, the format accepted by the GraveyardDuck tool.

(Speaking of GraveyardDuck: What happened to thefox's site? It gives me "Server not found" in Firefox ESR 52.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:50 am 

Thanks for the help guys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:48 am 

As someone who's hacked Paperboy before, most of the letter values are offset by some value that I can't remember offhand (my notes are at home and I'm away, otherwise I'd check).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 pm 

tepples wrote:
(Speaking of GraveyardDuck: What happened to thefox's site? It gives me "Server not found" in Firefox ESR 52.)

It's been down for a long time now (thanks LeaseWeb for accidentally deleting my VPS!)

I should have all the referenced files somewhere on my hard drives, though, just have to dig a bit. I'm adding them back up at http://fo.aspekt.fi as needed.