How to keep game running while debugger is open i Mesen?

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Nallebeorn

How to keep game running while debugger is open i Mesen?

Post by Nallebeorn »

This is a question very specific to the Mesen emulator. I really like its debugging tool so far, but I have a dumb little problem with it which I can't seem to solve.

After opening the debug window, I'm unable to resume play in the game window. If I press Continue, it just runs one frame and then pauses/breaks. I don't have any breakpoints anywhere, and I've disabled everything under Break Options. Pause when in debugging tools in the preferences is also disabled. It always breaks on the same instruction, too, an

Code: Select all

lda #$00
early in nmi, part of the controller latch write routine.

Is this by design, or a bug in Mesen, or have I just missed a setting somewhere?
Sour

Re: How to keep game running while debugger is open i Mesen?

Post by Sour »

That's odd - if all the break options are disabled & you have no breakpoints, there should be more or less nothing that should make the debugger break, normally.

Do you get the same behavior in any game, or just this one specific rom?
Nallebeorn

Post by Nallebeorn »

No this was exclusively a problem with my own homebrew rom.

However, for some inexplicable reason, the problem stopped occurring after clearing/disabling auto-import of labels, and the enabling them again. I.... have no idea why, but problem solved I guess, so sorry for bothering y'all. Only reason I thought of trying that was after seeing that it didn't happen with other roms, though, so thanks for reminding me to check that. :wink:
Sour

Post by Sour »

No problem - if you get the same issue again, let me know and I'll try to figure out the cause.