It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:48 pm 

battagline wrote:
The only issue I have with that is it doesn't seem to do the RLE thing. It looks like all the data is uncompressed.

Hmm... well that sucks! The readme is a bit vague here, but yeah, it looks like it might only export the non-RLE'd version. I'm keeping my response terse to try and avoid someone saying "but NES Screen Tool is open-source so you can fix it yourself!" (No end-user wants to hear that answer.)

battagline wrote:
Another related question. What segment should I drop the nametable into?

Assembler-specific question. You need to get in the habit of specifying what assembler you're using when dealing with things of this nature. :-) The question likely implies cc65/ca65/ld65. Someone else will have to answer that (odds are it'll amount to "it depends on how you set up your .cfg file", which then gets off-topic vs. the thread subject, so maybe discussion of cc65/ca65/ld65 bits would be better-suited for its own thread? Unsure.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:57 pm 

In the save dialog, at the bottom just below the filename is a "save as type" field. Click that and select an RLE format.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:52 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
In the save dialog, at the bottom just below the filename is a "save as type" field. Click that and select an RLE format.

It will save as the binary .rle, but when I save as the .asm RLE, nothing happens. The file won't show up and if I try and save over an existing file it doesn't change it.

Thanks

https://www.classicsolitaire.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:02 pm 

battagline wrote:
It will save as the binary .rle, but when I save as the .asm RLE, nothing happens. The file won't show up and if I try and save over an existing file it doesn't change it.

Ah, I see. That's a bug. I guess I'd suggest to report that to shiru...

For the mean time, why not just save as the binary and then .incbin it in your assembly? Is there something you need the .asm export specifically for? You can see the exact same data with a hex editor on the binary version.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:33 pm 

There is a few bugs in nes screen tools but in general it works well. One that I do not know the exact order to reproduce it is if you ask to save 1k chr at cursor location, sometime it will save something else ^^;;; I was sure that I selected the wrong banks in my code until I found the data was wrong. "Must have put cursor wrong place then. Will be careful next time". Then it happened again :lol: I may try to check where the bug is someday in the code but for now, I will just be careful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:34 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
For the mean time, why not just save as the binary and then .incbin it in your assembly? Is there something you need the .asm export specifically for? You can see the exact same data with a hex editor on the binary version.

He previously had an separate thread/post about this subject in general but it got deleted (probably by him -- I know because I had typed up a lengthly reply and phpBB told me the thread no longer existed), and put a post/reply in here instead.

I proposed the copy-to-clipboard solution earlier in this thread as a possible workaround because he originally said the file export/save feature didn't work at all. But the copy-to-clipboard method doesn't give you the RLE'd .db data, only the non-RLE'd version -- so it's incbin or nothing if you want to use this tool and it's RLE export capability.

He needs to know how to include this file in his project/code exactly (segment-wise, etc.). This is always a big struggle for people new to ca65 etc., so people need a lot more hand-holding to understand how to get all of that working (tuning .cfg, using proper segments, etc.) rather than a more "bare-bones" assembler/linker.

I also covered earlier that the code included with nesst.zip is for NESASM and will need to be converted/changed to work with ca65, which I'm assuming is what he's using (re: segment question).