It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:35 am 

So, for objects I want to move at a fractional speed on every nmi, something like 0.5 or 1.25 pixels every time an nmi runs, I'm currently using a second byte where I'm only using bit 6 and 7.

I've been messing around with Easy6502 trying to get something working, but I've been running into issues.

here's the code I've been using on Easy6502:

Code:
; set up all of the variables
; the floating point portion will only be 2 bits
; this will support 1/4 parts
   lda #$3
   sta subtract_float
   lda #5
   sta whole_number
   sta starting_whole_number
   lda #2
   sta float_number
   sta starting_float_number

; before storing this number in
   ; the float_number variable I'm going to
   ; shift it over 6 bits
   asl
   asl
   asl
   asl
   asl
   asl

sta float_number_shifted

lda subtract_float   
   ; 6 shifts to use bits 7 and 6
   clc
   asl
   asl
   asl
   asl
   asl
   asl

; if the carry is clear the shifts didn't
   ; overflow
   bcc skip_dec_1
      ; if the carry flag was set dec
      ; the whole number
      dec whole_number
      jmp skip_dec_whole_2
   skip_dec_1:
   sec
   sbc float_number
   ; if the carry is clear we must dec the
   ; whole number
   bcs skip_dec_whole_2
      dec whole_number
skip_dec_whole_2:
   lsr
   lsr
   lsr
   lsr
   lsr
   lsr
   sta float_number

jmp end
starting_whole_number:
   nop
starting_float_number:
   nop
float_number_shifted:
   nop
whole_number:
   nop
float_number:
   nop
subtract_float:
   nop

end:

I think I'm just going about this the wrong way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

https://www.classicsolitaire.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:42 am 

Use 8.8 fixed point instead: it's a lot easier to manage.

8.8 looks just like ordinary 16-bit math, except that you only use the upper byte when displaying the results.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:46 am 

lidnariq wrote:

8.8 looks just like ordinary 16-bit math, except that you only use the upper byte when displaying the results.

That's a good idea. I need to keep it simple.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:29 pm 

lidnariq wrote:

Fixed point is great, and usually clamping off the LSB for functions that work with regular 8-bit integers is ok for most cases, especially when deciding where to put a sprite on screen or which position to use when calculating collisions. The decimal part of the number is simply a base 256 fraction so the concept is very simple and effective.

Having an actual floating point number (Signed mantissa times base 10 exponentiation) seems overly complex for a machine like the NES.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:40 pm 

BTW there are many very readily available floating point implementations for 6502 if you do want to use them. e.g.
http://www.6502.org/source/floats/wozfp1.txt

They're slow, of course, but I'm sure that's already taken for granted. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:03 pm 

So if I want to have a negative decimal number, like -1.25, how would that work using fixed point? I was thinking that #$E0 in the low byte could represent -0.25, but then would I need $FF in the high byte? I'm a little confused as to what I would do if the high byte were negative and the low positive, or if I should just make the low byte 1/256 and assume the sign is based on the high byte.

Any suggestions as to how to handle 16 bit negative numbers?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:04 pm 

In q8 fixed point:
  • 1.25 is represented as 320/256, or $0140.
  • -1.25 is represented as -320/256, or $FEC0. This is equal to $10000 - $0140.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:07 pm 

battagline wrote:
So if I want to have a negative decimal number, like -1.25, how would that work using fixed point? I was thinking that #$E0 in the low byte could represent -0.25, but then would I need $FF in the high byte? I'm a little confused as to what I would do if the high byte were negative and the low positive, or if I should just make the low byte 1/256 and assume the sign is based on the high byte.

Any suggestions as to how to handle 16 bit negative numbers?

Signed fixed point numbers work the same as other signed numbers. It's the standard two's complement representation, where the highest bit indicates sign. (On that linked article, maybe look at the tables to get an idea. The first column is the number respresented, and the second column is how it'd be stored.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:44 pm 

May I broaden the scope to scaled-integer? Because fixed-point is just a limited subset of scaled-integer arithmetic. The first half of the front page of the section of my website section on large look-up tables is an article about scaled-integer, showing how to do things with it that most people don't realize can be done without floating-point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 pm 

What is your definition of "scaled integer" that makes it different from "fixed point"? As far as I can tell that article treats them as synonyms. (I'm unfamiliar with "scaled integer" as a term.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:38 pm 

I'd arbitrary guess that "scaled integer" means things where the fixed point isn't necessarily on a power of two...

Garth's linked page wrote:
Keep in mind that the scale factor in scaled-integer arithmetic does not necessarily have to be evenly divisible by 16, 10, 5, 2, or even an integer at all! (See the situation with degrees and radians further down.) Also, the six log and antilog tables can be used for any base, by scaling. In scaled-integer, they work best in base 2; but from there, you get the natural (base e) log for example by multiplying the base-2 log by 7050/10171 (or just cranking that number into the scale factor). The table descriptions page gives supporting information.

He then gives examples, such as choosing to handle currency as integral cents instead of dollars, or scaling trigonometric functions to have a period of some power of two (instead of 360°, 2π, τ, 400ᵍ, &c)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:04 am 

Thanks guys... it took me a little while to understand why the math behind 2s compliment works.

So just to make sure I understand it, let me try to explain it and anyone feel free to tell me what I'm getting wrong.

When you are doing 2s complement, you are effectively subtracting the number you have from a number one value higher than the highest number you have based on the number of bits you can represent.

So if you do 2s compliment to 3, you are basically taking 256 and subtracting 3 to get 253. Then when you add any number to 253 that is larger than 3, it is essentially wrapping back around when you exceed the maximum number you support. flipping the bits and adding one is basically a fast way of subtracting from 256 in binary. If I'm understanding this right, you could do a similar inverting if you had decimal numbers instead of binary. If you had 3 decimal digits and wanted to represent negative numbers with them, you could have any number over 500 represent a negative number and flip any positive number to a negative number by subtracting each digit from 10 and adding 1

representing 398 as a negative number in this system would be 602 (1000-398), so if you wanted to see what would happen if you added -398 to 420, you would add 420 to 602 and get 1022, but since there are only 3 digits we are keeping track of we end up with 022 or 22 (420-398). The way you get to 1000 when you can't hold 1000 in memory is to put the highest number into memory you can hold (999) and subtract from that. Since you want to go one higher than the highest number you can hold in memory, you then have to add one to your result, so it would be 999-398+1.

when you perform an eor #$ff in binary, that's just a faster way of getting #$ff - (value)

I apologize if my explanation doesn't make sense to anyone other than me.

please let me know if I'm getting this wrong.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:42 am 

Yes, I think you have it correct.

In general, signed operations are similar to unsigned ones but sometimes slightly more cumbersome:

• For adding and subtracting the operations are the same.
  • For comparison, they are different (e.g. $FF should be less than $01). This requires looking at a few flags at once to resolve (details here).
  • For left shift, it is the same as unsigned. (ASL followed by ROL for consecutive bytes.)
  • For right shift, you need to duplicate the high bit to maintain sign. (CMP #$80 followed by ROR, then ROR for consecutive bytes.)

Last edited by rainwarrior on Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Oopsie woopsie
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:00 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
For right shift, you need to duplicate the high bit to maintain sign. (CMP #$80 followed by ROL, then ROL for consecutive bytes.)

Isn't ROR for right shift?