It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:39 pm 

I have a strange bug in mesen, that I can also reproduce in real NES. I have "ppu_Off" subroutine that does

Code:
lda #0
sta PPU_MASK

But it does not seem to turn off the render and when I reload palette, I have garbage on the screen for a frame. I do it just after NMI is done, and there is nothing in NMI except OAM DMA and scroll reset. Is there anything I'm missing?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:47 pm 

Don't think anyone can help much without seeing code and/or an example ROM.

Anyway, changing the palette outside of VBLANK causes colored lines to appear on the screen. Search the wiki for more info. Even with rendering off, you have to change the palette inside VBLANK.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:59 pm 

Set a breakpoint for writes to 2001. Make sure the code is doing what you think.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:00 pm 

pubby wrote:
Anyway, changing the palette outside of VBLANK causes colored lines to appear on the screen. Search the wiki for more info. Even with rendering off, you have to change the palette inside VBLANK.

I think that was the case. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:07 pm 

The exact time at which you disable and enable rendering matters too: if you do it mid-screen, you'll get half-rendered frames on the screen, which aren't nice. Better wait for vblank in those cases too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:20 am 

tokumaru wrote:
The exact time at which you disable and enable rendering matters too: if you do it mid-screen, you'll get half-rendered frames on the screen, which aren't nice. Better wait for vblank in those cases too.

This is what I was doing, I was waiting for another NMI before turning rendering off. What I did not do, I was not waiting for another NMI after loading nametable and before loading palette.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:57 am 

Load the palette first, then the nametable. Then you don't have to wait for a 2nd v-blank.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:10 am 

dougeff wrote:
Load the palette first, then the nametable. Then you don't have to wait for a 2nd v-blank.

Yeah... My nametable load code erases palette. Hence the warning in the code.
Code:
.warning "Fix loadnametable, so it does not erase palette"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:15 pm 

Unless you are doing a quick scene flip, like exiting the edge of a screen to enter another, waiting for an extra vblank isn't really expensive. A couple of frames is practically no wait to anyone playing the game. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:48 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Unless you are doing a quick scene flip, like exiting the edge of a screen to enter another,

That's exactly what I'm doing. But now I'm at the stage where I can run between screens, and that's it. So I'm tabling this bug down for a while, and get back to it when I have more actual game features working.

Because I reload whole nametable, I will still have 3 frames dropped, and I don't think I can do it in less than 2. So it will flash the screen a little anyways. I might add fade in/out, which will give me even more time to do any work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:56 pm 

Battle Kid took some ribbing for being a flip-screen platformer that blanks the screen for 5-ish vblanks between each screen. It just looks a little sloppy.

On the other hand, it might count as the first widespread commercial modern homebrew, and there's a lot to be said for completing a project at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
Battle Kid took some ribbing for being a flip-screen platformer that blanks the screen for 5-ish vblanks between each screen. It just looks a little sloppy.

It is currently quite quick, and I am able to make it one frame shorter. But I don't even have any npc/objects just yet, so it may become visually annoying without fading.

Attachments:
game.nes [48.02 KiB]
Downloaded 27 times

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:15 pm 

Flipping screens in action games can be a little annoying in some situations. I remember a couple of screens in Battle Kid where you had to jump from platforms near the top of the screen and the successive flashes caused by switching to the screen above and quickly falling back multiple times were a little hard on the eyes. Not only that, but the enemies kept resetting their positions on every screen switch, which was disorienting.

I don't know if there's a better way to handle that on the NES... I guess you could "pause and fade" to eliminate the flashing, but then the slowness of moving around gets annoying, specially if you want to reach a distant place quickly.