It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: female socket connector
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:44 pm 

i know we've all seen the standard controller with the usb end on it. but i was wondering if there happened to be a way to wire the female end of the controller into your computer and have it read in the controller? i'm thinking this is probably more complex then getting a usb controller but i was more wondering the feasiblitiy of it. i ahve an old nes sitting around so if i need to take stuff from that i can do that. any feedback is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Sure you can. Stuff like this is what the controller-to-USB kit is for. I'd say to get one of those and do it that way. I bought a couple NES extension cables that I've been planning on using for that sometime. There's also some schematics for hooking an NES controller to the parallel port, all over the net if you do a google search, but that might not work as well for compatibility (I'm not sure). Plus you have to add a power supply (battery or something).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:39 pm 

ok i dont think i explained it right cause i dont understand your reply (or this could jsut be me being dense). i have an old NES that when taken apart i took out the 2 female socket connectors that the controllers would plug into. my question is is there any way i can hardwire these into the mobo and then be able to plug in regular NES controllers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:37 pm 

The RetroKit will do what you want. You just wire the female sockets to the kit, then plug the usb cable into internal usb ports on your mobo. That way you can use unmodified controllers and funky ones like dogbone/max/3rd party. Good sample pict of the mod I did is at http://www.retrousb.com/images/NESface.jpg I cut a slot in the black face plate, mounted the sockets from a very dead system, then mounted the RetroKits in the back of everything. No cables go outside the case, use any controller, works with any game or emulator that supports usb gamepads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:36 am 

if you only have one internal usb port how do u hook up both female connectors? just curious. or do i plug them straight into the mobo?