It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:45 pm 

Why would I need to do that? I already have a multimeter, and I already have used it to make a diagram of the boards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:24 pm 

No, to detect what the output of the latch is. Ideally while dumping it, but maybe while running also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:20 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
No, to detect what the output of the latch is. Ideally while dumping it, but maybe while running also.

You mean I'd have to check the continuity of a circuit while the board is currently on? Isn't that dangerous?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm 

That's why I was suggesting hooking up something with alligator clips. If there's no short when it's off, and you don't move things while it's on, it's safe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 pm 

Do I really have to do this?
Also, what is a "latch"?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:59 pm 

No, you don't have to do this, but I have no idea why the script is not working, and I have no idea what else to try..... well, ok, you could try the AOROM script from here, maybe. But I see no reason it'd work (i.e. result will be 32KB not 64KB) given that the designed-for-Color Dreams scripts haven't worked.

I'm not even certain how adding LEDs will help, so ... shrug.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:05 pm 

The emulator doesn't even load the game up with that script, a waste of time to try it but I did it to make myself comfortable.
Maybe the reason why it isn't working is because someone needs to open a hex editor and hack it somehow...?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:06 pm 

ShadowMan44 wrote:
The emulator doesn't even load the game up with that script, a waste of time to try it but I did it to make myself comfortable.
How big is the file. This is important. Is it still 32KB? Then it failed, and nothing has changed. Is it suddenly 64KB? Then we've succeeded partway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:19 pm 

Nope, it is still 32.0k. At this point we've reached a dead end, none of the scripts we've tried work and there's no way to figure out what's causing the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:37 pm 

Respectfully I must disagree with your assessment (that this is at a "dead end" and "there's no way to figure out what's causing the problem"). I actually think what's being shown on-screen is just a garbled version of the actual initial power-on screen (ONE PLAYER, TWO PLAYER, MAIN MENU), but that's a gut feeling based on some anecdotal evidence in the screenshots compared to videos of the actual game/cart being played.

I'm of the opinion you're about a third or half way there, just that due to your lack of experience with any/all of this, you're frustrated. I can understand that frustration because low-level hardware pieces are not my forte either. But what's being asked of you isn't really low-level. For example, I can't really read a schematic well but I can build something if I'm given clear instructions or a VERY verbose schematic -- and I certainly can use a multimetre to create something akin to this purely via continuity tests, and without the cart needing to be powered. Other hardware-level analysis would require me to ask for a assistance, and if I did not feel comfortable doing it, I would ask someone with that experience for help, else to do it for me. I also believe part of your frustration lies in the fact that you're "coveting" this cartridge for some reason (I've seen people do this with all sorts of things, it's something I do not understand).

Other options were presented to you earlier in the thread by me. I made a menu of choices you had available as I saw them. They are all still valid options. You also obviously did not read what I wrote in full, because in one of the paragraphs I offered something that you did not respond to (hint: lidnariq saying "your continuity tests were inconclusive" -- well, you could rectify that! You're the one with the cartridge!).

You keep responding with short, terse, one-line responses -- as if you really don't have the time to spend on accomplishing the goal you wish to achieve. That's kind of narcissistic, and I say that without trying to start an argument (honest!). We're all trying to help you, but you're almost acting... I don't even know the words... voluntarily stupid? Maybe just extremely defeatist? I don't know. It's disappointing because we're all honestly capable of doing this, and we understand you aren't sure what you're doing, which is why we've tried to explain it (please see my previous paragraph again).

I believe you bought or got a Kazzo, then spent probably US$300+ on this cartridge, doing little-to-no research on what would be required of you to dump it (i.e. you thought it would be as easy as shoving a cart in, running a program, and magically get a ROM), or maybe someone somewhere on the Internet told you "it's easy bruh just buy this thing and click and type this command and you're done!". I don't know. What I do suspect is you're now in a lot deeper than you originally anticipated/expected.

It's also possible that the Kazzo isn't capable of working with this particular board type. lidnariq posted some evidence of people trying before on a real Color Dreams cart), or possibly it can work but there are nuances of the Kazzo not understood by some of us here. I for example do not have a Kazzo dumper, but I do have the latest INLretro Dumper/Programmer, which does not use anago/kazzo scripts but instead some Lua scripts. I'm familiar with Lua, and I have a good relationship with Paul from INL plus most of the folks here on the forum, so...

Re-visit earlier posts in the thread. As I said, you still have options.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:29 am 

What am I supposed to do, desolder all the chips so we can see what the board looks like on the inside!?!?!!?!?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:58 am 

ShadowMan44 wrote:
What am I supposed to do, desolder all the chips so we can see what the board looks like on the inside!?!?!!?!?

That would actually be very useful, though if all you've got is an ordinary soldering iron I'd only recommend doing that as a last resort, given the amount of work required (and the risk of damaging the board and/or chips in the process) - if you've got a quality desoldering station, I'd be wondering why you haven't done it already.

Also, as a side note (and echoing koitsu's previous message), expressing your frustration so vocally probably isn't going to make things much easier - just be patient and open to our suggestions and we'll be able to solve this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:49 am 

Since I have no idea why the Kazzo isn't working, the next step I'd suggest would be desoldering only the 74LS377, and use jumpers to tie the three pins that go from it to the two ROMs high or low. Should be possible to dump the entire game in 4 passes in the Kazzo, since there are only two 32 KiB PRG banks and four 8 KiB CHR banks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:35 pm 

Let me just say something real quick
I have never desoldered a chip in my life, the most work I have done with soldering is replacing batteries in a Pokemon cartridge. I once tried to put new solder on a pin but the solder always stuck to the top of the pen and was pretty much impossible to put onto the board.

The other options "giving up, and sending the game off to someone else" are totally out of the question. I bought the game, I spent the money, I'm the one who will dump the rom, no matter the cost.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:44 pm 

The reason why lidnariq suggested desoldering the 74377 is that it's a common and easily replaceable electronic component. Because you can just replace it, you can snip all its pins off and destroy it, which makes the desoldering process a lot easier.

The actual EPROMs have the valuable information, and are harder to desolder too because of their shape and large number of pins. That would be a more last last resort to suggest.

However, I'd be really surprised if this isn't exactly or almost exactly the mapper we already think it is. My most likely guess is some error is going on with the software, the scripts, or how they're being used on your computer, or something like that. I think it might be worth trying to troubleshoot that a bit more before trying hardware modifications. (Do other cart dumps work correctly with your setup?)

Finally, one thing I don't think has been mentioned is maybe check the remaining pins of the 74377 and see if they connect to any of the card edge pins of the PCB (the gold fingers on the edge, both sides). We would expect to see 6 specific pins connected to 6 specific edge connectors, but maybe they're in scrambled arrangment here?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next