It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: cc65 not compiling code
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:58 am 

According to a tutorial I've been looking at, you have to write something like this in a .bat file to get cc65 to compile code:

Code:
ca65 test.asm -o test.o
ld65 test.o -o test.nes -t nes

However, when I try to compile, there is no output file nor any errors displayed. Well, there could be, but the command line closes before I can see if there are any. Does cc65 have a function similar to the "pause" function in NESASM3?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:06 am 

PAUSE is not a function of nesasm3, it's one of the windows command line. Adding PAUSE to any .bat, NES related or not will have the same effect.

Edit, because it was only implied, not directly stated: You can add PAUSE to this script too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:33 am 

Also, please fix your argument/flag order. It is a bad habit to simply "append stuff" to a command line; always follow usage syntax per help commands or documentation (and for ld65). There is no universal standard for parsing these arguments.

TL;DR: change your script to:
Code:
ca65 -o test.o test.asm
ld65 -t nes -o test.nes test.o

Also, you probably don't want to use -t nes, but you'll find out why soon enough on your own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:39 am 

Okay, so now that I can see the error messages it seems like the error I was getting was the chr file begin too big. But since the mapper I'm using allows that much chr I'm assuming that -t nes doesn't account for mappers. If I remove it, ld65 says that it is missing a memory configuration. I couldn't find much useful information on how to create one, so I might need some help here.

EDIT: I might be able to get the RAM and PRG parts correct, but I'm not sure how I should make the configuration for CHR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:10 am 

Which mapper, how big is PRG ROM, and how big is CHR ROM?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 am 

Right now nothing accounts for mappers in assemblers/linkers other than NESASM. You get to manage all related parts of it yourself, both the code and the "organisation" of how it's used in the assembler/linker. ca65/ld65 makes this process a bit easier (particularly ld65) -- you may want to refer to some examples that Tepples has put together for some mappers, with an exclusive focus on PRG:

* https://github.com/pinobatch/snrom-template
* https://github.com/pinobatch/bnrom-template

You may also find the bank attribute on a MEMORY entry in your ld65 configuration useful when combined with the .bank directive in ca65 (not the same as .bankbyte!). It makes storing/retrieving the PRG or CHR bank number of a particular bank very easy. It is an easily overlooked feature given the formatting/layout of the documentation.

That said: you didn't disclose what mapper you're working with, but the above should give you the general idea. Also, if you are starting out with NES development, I suggest ignoring mappers entirely and just use mapper 0 / NROM to make your life easier for now -- worry about mappers later.

As for CHR: make separate MEMORY/SEGMENTs for each one, and then declare the segment in the assembly source along with an .incbin statement to reference the actual .chr files themselves. It's that easy. You may find this post of mine helpful, which was for MMC3.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:08 pm 

You need to make a configuration file .cfg.

Here's a basic example.

https://github.com/nesdoug/01_Hello/blo ... k_vert.cfg

And you need to separate your code into different "segments" to determine where it ends up. For example, you want to incbin. your CHR into a CHAR segment, and have that listed last in the memory definitions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:59 pm 

I managed to make a config that compiles, but there are still some segments in the examples that I don't know the use for. Mainly ONCE, HEAP and LOWCODE. Then there are a few that seem similar, but I'm not sure what's the difference. STARTUP vs. INIT and DATA vs. RODATA. Knowing the use for these might also clear some confusion around some of the attributes used.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:15 pm 

RODATA is Read Only data. Just stuff that goes into ROM that isn't code, e.g. a const array goes here.

DATA is read/write data. C variables go here. There's also additionally an initialization block in ROM that gets copied into DATA's RAM location at startup to fill them with their initial values.

HEAP is used for malloc/free, you probably don't need this.

STARTUP is used to contain the code that gets run immediately after power/reset.

I forget what ONCE, LOWCODE, and INIT are used for. To be honest a lot of these aren't super useful and can probably be omitted unless you want to use very specific features of cc65's included C libraries.

For my most recent NES C project, my CFG used only the essentials: dgolf.cfg

This was combined with a simplified version of cc65's C runtime startup, which basically just initializes DATA: dgolf.s:cc65_init

If we're not talking about C and you're just making an assembly program there's even less that's really required, and all the names are arbitrary. You can call segments whatever you want.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:26 am 

ONCE = INIT = library constructors for code run at startup, only once. For other platforms this is stuff like input and graphics drivers, not relevant for NES.
LOWCODE is support functions placed in a "common bank" on some atari platforms, to be always accessible. Not used on NES.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:29 am 

I've used the LOWCODE mechanism for small bits of code that I copy to RAM in order to use them with data scattered across multiple banks of a 32K bank switched ROM. See, for example, interbank_fetch.s in Action 53.

The ONCE/INIT sounds like it'd be good for code that needs to be in a certain part of PRG ROM, such as keeping MMC3's reset code above $E000.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:38 pm 

OP is not using C (see their script). None of the segments being discussed matter. Their existence has already confused the OP because they are more intended for use alongside C. Rainwarrior's above post, last line, is all that's relevant.