Feedback wanted on my first NES project-a simple Hello World

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

mattjustice

Feedback wanted on my first NES project-a simple Hello World

Post by mattjustice » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi,

I'm new NES development. Last week I decided to take a shot a writing a "Hello, World" style program as a prelude to writing a real NES game. I realize there are already a bunch of starter projects, templates, and so forth out there, and those were helpful to me (Brad Smith's NES-ca65-example and Damian Yerrick's NES project template in particular - thanks guys!). I just find that starting with a blank file and typing in each statement, making sure I understand it all helps me understand better. So I chose to write my own "Hello, World."

My goals were to display a background with a text message, and display a single sprite that I could move around with the controller's D-pad. I also went for easily understandable code, not the most efficient code.

If anyone has time and interest, I'd like to hear your feedback. Given the context of what I was trying to do here, do you see anything that's problematic?

Here's the code: https://github.com/matthewjustice/hello-nes

Thanks!

pubby

Re: Feedback wanted on my first NES project-a simple Hello W

Post by pubby » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:47 pm

Good work.

I can only give a quick look at it. Here are some observations:

Code: Select all

ldx ship_x
    inx
    stx ship_x
You can use INC instruction instead.

lda ship_orientation
check_ship_up:
    cmp #SHIP_ORIENTATION_UP
    bne check_ship_down
    ; Ship is up
    ldx #TILE_SHIP_UP_DOWN
    stx tile_number
    ldx #OAM_ATTR_PALETTE_4
    stx oam_attribs
    jmp write_oam_data
It tends to be better to use tables for this. In general, NES programming is about how efficiently you can use tables. A table based approach might look like this:

ldy ship_orientation
lda ship_sprite_table, y
sta oam, x
inx
lda ship_attr_table, y
sta oam, x
I do not see you clearing OAM in 'prepare_oam'. Typically, you'd need to move all unused sprites outside of the visible area every frame. Obviously you don't need that for this project, but in the future you will.

mattjustice

Post by mattjustice » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:15 am

pubby - Thanks for taking the time to review the code and provide your feedback!

INC - Yes, good catch.

Clearing OAM - I'll keep that mind for future projects, thanks.

Tables - I'd like to understand this better. Are you recommending that I keep a table where I can quickly lookup appropriate values for OAM based on game state? For example, I know that if the ship's orientation is LEFT then I need to use tile 1 and apply the vertical flip attribute - so I could store all that in a table and avoid the comparison/branching logic at runtime. Is that the general idea?

Thanks again!

[Edit] - I tried a table-based approach, which cleaned up the code a good bit and should reduce runtime cost. Here's the change on GitHub - https://github.com/matthewjustice/hello ... e9cb363a74. If you have a chance to review, let me know if that is generally what you had in mind. Thanks!

pubby

Post by pubby » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:00 am

Yeah you did the table thing perfectly :beer: :)

mattjustice

Post by mattjustice » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:17 am

Great; thanks again for your help! I like the lookup table approach.