SMB enemies dont appear in first page

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

alpdrucken

SMB enemies dont appear in first page

Post by alpdrucken » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:49 am

Hello! I'm making a SMB hack and while placing enemies in the 1-1 underground section I noticed that they dont appear there, probably because they dont appear in the first page mario spawns. I think there is a way to remove that check, because I think some hacks might have dealt with that, but I'm not sure exactly how they did it. SMBUtility's emulator has a check for "show enemies in the start page" and if i mark that enemies spawn in the underground section.

EDIT: looking at SMBUtility's github page, I found what offset is changed when that option is checkmarked, and it's

Code: Select all

pb6502CPUMemory[0xC1BB] = 0x4C;
pb6502CPUMemory[0xC1BC] = 0xCB;
pb6502CPUMemory[0xC1BD] = 0xC1;
pb6502CPUMemory[0xC1BE] = 0xEA;
pb6502CPUMemory[0xC1BF] = 0xEA;
I replaced those bits and now enemies spawn in that page; the problem is that after I take the pipe back to 1-1 overworld goombas spawn twice. I don't know why but SMBUtility emulator doesnt have this bug when checking that option, so either it gets disabled once the first page is loaded or idk. I have no idea how to fix this.