Dumping a cartridge no success.

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

4tmelDriver

Dumping a cartridge no success.

Post by 4tmelDriver » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:36 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to dump a "VT-397" (Multi?-)Cartridge using this dumper : https://github.com/ClusterM/famicom-dumper

I tried serveral mappers and no one seems to work. Sadly I can't write my own mapper scripts (yet?). I attached a NROM dump to the post.
Does anyone know, which mapper has to be used to dump this cartridge?

Thank you for your help!
Attachments
output.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

NewRisingSun

Re: Dumping a cartridge no success.

Post by NewRisingSun » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:46 am

The NROM dump only has MMC3 writes, so you should dump this using an MMC3, a.k.a. TKROM/TLROM/TxROM script. That will likely not be sufficient to dump the entire multicart, but it should at least get us to the menu. Note that most offline dumping devices have trouble dumping multicarts that detect reset via M2 signal interruptions.

4tmelDriver

Post by 4tmelDriver » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:23 pm

Well dumping with an MMC3 mapper wasn't very successful either.

I think you are correct, that this dumper has some trouble regarding the M2 pin.

4tmelDriver

Post by 4tmelDriver » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:21 am

Thank you for your suggestion, MMC3 was absolutely right.
So I created a new M2 signal using a FPGA because the dumper did not provide any signal at the M2 pin.
This was a success although I did not expect that this would actually work (the duty cycle wasn't exactly right).

It seems there is only one game on the cartridge. There are some slight graphics glitchs.
I will experiment to get a better result.

NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:14 am

It seems there is only one game on the cartridge
That does not seem right. Please post or PM me the MMC3 dump; maybe I can see some unaccounted-for multicart register writes.

Aparich

Post by Aparich » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:45 am

NewRisingSun wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:46 am
The NROM dump only has MMC3 writes, so you should dump this using an MMC3, a.k.a. TKROM/TLROM/TxROM script. That will likely not be sufficient to dump the entire multicart, but it should at least get us to the menu. Note that most offline dumping devices have trouble dumping multicarts that detect reset via M2 signal interruptions.
I had a similar issues and it seems to be solved now, thank you for the suggestion, even for me creating a new M2 signal worked.