Need Help Dumping UNROM512 Mapper 30 cart with INLretro

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

viperware

Need Help Dumping UNROM512 Mapper 30 cart with INLretro

Post by viperware » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:23 am

Hello, just as the title says, I am trying to dump a cart with the inl-starter GUI. I selected mapper30v2 and input the correct PRG-ROM and CHR-ROM sizes. However there is nowhere to input the CHR-RAM size which I need to set to 8kb. I get a CHR-RAM banking test error when trying to dump the cart. Anyone know what this means?

Code: Select all

D:\Downloads\INL-retro-progdump-master\INL-retro-progdump-master\host>echo off
Successfully found and connected to INL retro-prog
Device firmware version: 2.3.x
firmware app ver request:       3
checking for old firmware
later firmware sensed, running current script
Testing         MAP30
attempting to detect NES/FC mapper via mirroring...
1screen A mirroring sensed
detected RAM @ PPU $    1000
EXP0 pull-up test:      10
reading PRG-ROM manf ID
attempted read PRG-ROM manf ID: 84
attempted read PRG-ROM prod ID: FD

FAIL CHR-RAM BANKING TEST!!!

bank0 read:     33

bank1 read:     33

bank2 read:     33
CHR-RAM BANKING TEST FAILED
Press any key to continue . . .

rainwarrior

Re: Need Help Dumping UNROM512 Mapper 30 cart with INLretro

Post by rainwarrior » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:57 am

Does the game actually require CHR banking?

Setting CHR-ROM size to 0 will give you 8k CHR-RAM by default, unless you are using an iNES 2 header.

viperware

Post by viperware » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:44 am

rainwarrior wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:57 am
Does the game actually require CHR banking?

Setting CHR-ROM size to 0 will give you 8k CHR-RAM by default, unless you are using an iNES 2 header.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I was using the mapper30v2 template from the GUI. There is another mapper30 .lua file in the scripts folder but it doesn't appear in the GUI drop down menu. I tried using the command line to dump it manually with that .lua but my syntax must be incorrect. The documentation for the inlretro is a little cryptic to me as a noob. My first dump attempt was with the Contra-J cart with a 72-pin adapter. I actually got an output on that one but the rom wouldn't play on the powerpak.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:14 pm

You could just try dumping it as UxROM (mapper 2) and changing the header afterward? Given the game I think you're dumping, I believe the only mapper 30 feature you need is the flash save, which does not matter for the dump, just a header setting.

Though... the other question might be whether it's actually UNROM512 or maybe it's GTROM. I know a couple of developers who seem to flip builds between those, so your copy of the game could be on a different board than mine. Have you taken the case apart? Seeing the actual PCB would clarify right away what mapper it actually is.

viperware

Post by viperware » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Thanks for the tips! I'm making some progress. I got an output file using the UNROM template, then opened the file with NEShead and changed the mapper to 30. I tried running both versions and they just sit on a gray screen. I'll read up on header properties to see if I can have a better understanding of it and hopefully catch something I overlooked. Thanks again!
-paul