It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:21 am 

tepples wrote:
I think CA65 is the one that the plurality of us use nowadays.

Is it sort of a standard in this community? I originally planned to use DASM, but I could easily adopt to CA65, especially since I'm just starting NES programming :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:27 am 

I will definitely check out each and every compiler listed above. I appreciate it!

Quietust: I guess you are right about Gbaguy, although I never doubted you in the first place. I getting another "bank" error with a different compiler using the same script that gbaguy suggests. Here is the error:

I'm going to start from scratch this time. I am pretty good at picking up one things and figuring out how things work by looking at example codes. With this in mind, and getting around to some books for 6502, I think I can start working towards something at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:50 am 

Cybergoth wrote:
tepples wrote:
I think CA65 is the one that the plurality of us use nowadays.

Is it sort of a standard in this community? I originally planned to use DASM, but I could easily adopt to CA65, especially since I'm just starting NES programming :)

I notice that alot of members use that, but since following NES101 I've gotten quite used to p65. You have to have Perl installed on your system to use it, but that's no biggie. I like p65 myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:36 pm 

I started out with nesasm and have now begun my transistion to WLA-DX. It supports a multitude of processors like TASM. Just another compiler to think about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:10 pm 

WLA-DX is what I use. Most people use CA65, but I don't see the hype with using it. Maybe I'm missing out on something, I don't know. WLA-DX is a lot better then NESASM once you learn how to use it. It allows you to include part of a file, it allows nameless lables, handy stuff like that. I'm pretty sure CA65 does too, but I don't know for sure. WLA-DX allows you to define your own bank size, so the assembler won't assume 8k banks like NESASM (Which is odd, because it's specificly geared towards the NES, and the NES uses 16k banks...) I'm sure there are some features in CA65 that WLA-DX doesn't have. Maybe it's easier to learn about or something. I thought WLA-DX would be a lot more popular here, but I guess not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:37 pm 

Celius wrote:
the NES uses 16k banks

MMC1-era mappers use 16 KiB banks, but MMC3-era mappers (such as RAMBO-1 and FME-7 and MMC5 and a few Konami VRCs) tend to use 8 KiB banks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:35 pm 

That's true, but I believe the main reason NESASM uses 8KB banks is that it's derived from MagicKit's PCEASM, and the PC Engine uses 8KB banks by default.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:56 am 
Site Admin

I found DASM to be pretty good for starting with, that's what I used after ditching NESASM. I mostly left DASM behind for ca65 because it doesn't have .incbin, but ca65/cc65 has a lot more to it. Mostly optional, except the linker.