Bad SRAM chip ? Batman Return Of The Joker

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

sirius244

Bad SRAM chip ? Batman Return Of The Joker

Post by sirius244 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm new here... I've tried to search many places but can't find my answer. I have a batman - retun of the joker game that get stuck after the title screen as soon as I press Start. I can also access the Password screen, there is sound an animation but can't start the game, stuck on the black transition screen.

PCB looks very clean, the tracks have been tested with my limited experience and i think they are all OK, cap looks OK, contacts cleaned.

I have checked some youtube tutorial and I suspect the SRAM chip to be defective ( MB8464A-10LL-SK ).

Is there any easy way to find a game with this same chip to make a swap ? Bootgod.dyndns.org is down, I have tried the archived website but I'm not able to make a research to find what I need and I'm tired of manually looking every PCB lol.

I'm here to listen to your suggestions... thanks a lot for your help! :)
https://web.archive.org/web/20180817043 ... php?id=657

Fisher

Re: Bad SRAM chip ? Batman Return Of The Joker

Post by Fisher » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:44 pm

AFAIK this chip uses the standard 64Kbit SRAM pinout, so you should be fine with any other 64Kbit IC.
You can get one of these on many games that use CHR RAM instead of ROM, like Contra and Megaman.
Also many japanese RPGs that save use one of them.
Some old ISA network and modem cards also use it.
Old 486 PC boards use SRAM chips as cache, but you'll need to do some small adaptations to use it.
Good luck on your hunting!

FrankWDoom

Re: Bad SRAM chip ? Batman Return Of The Joker

Post by FrankWDoom » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:24 am

The sram is an off the shelf part, you can find one on ebay or a suitable substitute is some cheap konami/ultra games.

I hope that is your issue because ive seen a couple of these and heard of a few more with failed roms. If thats the case i should still have a couple sets of mask roms from when these were still used as donors.