NES ROM Edits

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Tubifex

NES ROM Edits

Post by Tubifex » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:02 pm

Hi,

I have an NES ROM that I have edited with a hex editor but when I load it up on my retropie the edits don't work. I am obviously doing something wrong but I don't know what. Any help would be appreciated.

Oziphantom

Re: NES ROM Edits

Post by Oziphantom » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:07 pm

as in when you run the rom your edits are not their and the ROM is "stock" or as in your edits don't work at all? I.e does it work in an emulator?

Tubifex

Post by Tubifex » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:40 pm

Oziphantom wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:07 pm
as in when you run the rom your edits are not their and the ROM is "stock" or as in your edits don't work at all? I.e does it work in an emulator?
My edits are there I verified that in the hex editor. It acts like the rom is stock. I am using the FCEUX utility. Looking a bit further into it. I can run the ROM in the emulator and make changes to the game memory and that works but not when I edit the ROM it's self.

Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:04 pm

then your edits are not what you think they are. Possibly you are editing off by 0x10 ( i.e the header ) or it making an ips or ups patch out of the edits and not modifying the file directly.

nesrocks

Post by nesrocks » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:44 am

Or he's creating cheats by editing RAM?
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!

Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:00 pm

Are you editing on the $000-$7FF range? That would be RAM and it will not save. Do you have ROM File checked in the view menu? Otherwise you are just editing the CPU state. Are you saving your game after making your edits? FCEUX allows this right from the hex editor in File -> Save / Save As

Could be many things. Take a screenshot of what you're doing. It would be easier to help you!