Random junk appearing when trying to load background

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Randomletters367

Random junk appearing when trying to load background

Post by Randomletters367 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:25 pm

I'm new to 6502 programming and have been trying to learn how to draw backgrounds on the NES. I learned the basics of name tables, attribute tables, and palettes already. As a test, I tried to write the first 128 tiles with the same '?' tile, but when I do this there remains a top row of tiles that use a palette that the no attribute maps to and wont go away, even if I redraw. Is there some address in memory that I have to clear? I can put in some of my code if it would help.

Also I have never used a message board before so sorry if my formatting is wack. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :oops: :D
Attachments
Mario is just a sprite
Mario is just a sprite

unregistered

Re: Random junk appearing when trying to load background

Post by unregistered » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:07 pm

hi Randomletters367,

Perhaps a more skilled person will reply, but when I started out I remember two rows of random tiles along the top of my screen. It seems that those horrible rows vanished after I used the debugger to step through a frame of my code. As a result of those steps, I noticed that vblank would keep running for an entire frame, and then, vblank would interrupt itself and restart before it finished.

The fix involved using vblank entirely for (mostly) PPU operations (i.e. reads/writes to $2000, $2001, $2002, $2003, $2004, $2005, $2006, $2007). I had to move a lot of non PPU code out of vblank into my main loop. And, since vblank is pretty short, I implemented buffer use (i.e. fill an area of RAM, a buffer, with a bunch of appropriate values during main loop, and then, during vblank, use a simple loop to transfer that buffer’s values to the PPU); that massive game restructuring removed those two lines of random tiles at my screen’s top.

Maybe your game is perishing like mine was? Hope this helps. :)

edit: Ooh, just be sure to also never access the PPU outside of vblank. Otherwise, then the screen will also perish bc vblank is, normally, the only time that the PPU is dormant. When the PPU is active it hates being accessed; that’s surely evident by what appears on your screen. :)

Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:00 pm

Posting code helps! It is impossible to say for sure without looking at / running the code. Likely culprits:

- Make sure you are writing into the PPU address register correctly. For the top left corner of nametable 0, this should be #$20 and then #$00 into ($2006), followed by writes for your tile values into PPU data register ($2007).

- If this is correct, your Y scroll position could be corrupted. Writing two #$00's to the scroll register ($2005) after all ($2007) writes will reset your scroll position. Make sure you are still in vBlank (before scanline 0 begins).

Anyway, you can check the FCEUX nametable viewer. If your tiles are in the top left corner of that, the scroll register is incorrect. If they are not, then your PPU address is incorrect. If it is neither of these things, then post your code and let us know. We'll get you up and running!

Randomletters367

Post by Randomletters367 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write responses guys. To respond to unregistered, I don't think the problem is being caused by that specific scenario since when I remove all costly subroutines from VBLANK the problem persists. To response to controllerhead, I tried clearing the scroll register and made sure that I was doing #$20 and then #$00 into ($2006) then loading tiles into 2007. However, when I opened my name table in fceux debugger my tiles were in the top left corner. I included a screenshot below
Attachments
tset.PNG

Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:19 pm

Randomletters367 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:00 pm
I included a screenshot below
Ok. It looks like your Y scroll value is somewhere between 240 - 255, and is showing pieces of the attribute table as tiles. My guess is that your scroll value update is coming after vBlank is over, which will corrupt the scroll position. You can test this in the step through debugger. Hit [Run Line] and [Step Into] as you follow your code and make sure that your ($2005) scroll values are both the last thing being set after ($2007) writes are done and before the scanline = -1

If you post your code, it would be much easier to help!

Randomletters367

Post by Randomletters367 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:34 pm

Thanks again for the response, ill link you my repository while I read your answer so you don't have to wait. Sorry if its really clustered, I tried my best to name stuff well. https://github.com/Rayyank70/Nes-Game.git

Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:12 pm

Randomletters367 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:34 pm
Thanks again for the response
No problem!

Ok, i recompiled your stuff and it doesn't seem like you were setting $2005 at all. I hastily threw in a scroll position set into your vBlank routine. Seems fine now.

Anyway, i noticed you were updating sprites after reading your controllers. You don't want to be doing that: it isn't sustainable. You only have 20 scanlines to do all of your graphics updates (in most cases), so, you have to structure your code in a way that that happens. It is okay to set the $200 region and wait until next frame to update your screen. Rule of Thumb: Do all graphics updates first, and then do everything else.

Code: Select all

VBLANK:
	; Do all graphics related updates here

LDA #$02
	STA $4014    ; Reloads sprite stuff  

; Set your scroll position after $2007 writes, etc.
	LDA #$00
	STA $2005
	STA $2005

; Do everything else here...

JSR ResetController
	JSR ReadUserInput
	JSR CheckRightPressed

RTI 

Anyway, this should get you going for now. I'm sure you'll have more questions as you go along. Don't be a stranger. Good luck!

Randomletters367

Post by Randomletters367 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:16 pm

That was embarrassing, I swore I had intialized it somewhere before. Thanks again for bearing with me and for the tips. Also do you know the reason why those junk tiles were being loaded when the scroll wasnt set?

Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:21 pm

Randomletters367 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:16 pm
Also do you know the reason why those junk tiles were being loaded when the scroll wasnt set?
Yep. The screen is 256x240. The Y position goes right from 239 to 0 when drawing the screen. If you set the Y position from 240 - 255, the NES gets very confused and draws the end of the attribute table as tiles.

So uh, don't do that :wink:

Randomletters367

Post by Randomletters367 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:07 am

Hey there again. I got all the custom attribute table data loaded and the rest of the background, but a tiny bug has popped up. The first background tile for some reason is covered with one of my sprite tiles. I'm not loading the tile at any point and in the hex debugger it shows as there only being the 0 behind it there.
Attachments
tset.PNG

Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:17 am

it's probably a sprite =p

You can verify this by turning off sprite rendering by setting bit 4 of $2001 to 0 in vBlank. If it is a sprite, check your $200 page in the memory viewer to see which one it is. All sprite slots on a page copy with the $4014 DMA (in most cases).