SMB3's right-side scroll artifacts: Why not in SMB1, SMB2?

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Celius

Post by Celius »

I honestly hate horizontal mirroring... I think since our eyes are side by side, we have a more panoramic vision, and thus notice the glitches on the left and right edges of the screen more so than we would on the top and bottom. Also, I seem to remember talking about this a year or so ago, and I think Bregalad made a note that glitches are more noticeable if they occur in the direction you are scrolling. This is a good point too.

I hardly ever see vertical glitches; maybe it's just my TV. Like others said, they're also easier to mask by blanking out scanlines.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Vertical mirroring is probably ideal if your status bar is sprite-based. But if your status bar is background, you'll probably need to use a mapper IRQ to skip the rows of the map dedicated to the status bar.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

tepples wrote:Vertical mirroring is probably ideal if your status bar is sprite-based. But if your status bar is background, you'll probably need to use a mapper IRQ to skip the rows of the map dedicated to the status bar.
If you want free scrolling and a background status bar, the easiest solution is single-screen mirroring, but that comes with color artifacts on the sides, like in SMB3.

An option I have considered but never actually used because I never had the need for a background status bar is to draw the status bar every frame in a safe place. Sounds a little extreme, but with highly optimized/unrolled code it should be possible to draw it in 8 scanlines or so... That would be done during the visible frame, so it wouldn't steal any VBlank time. One day I might try this.
thefox

Post by thefox »

tokumaru wrote:An option I have considered but never actually used because I never had the need for a background status bar is to draw the status bar every frame in a safe place. Sounds a little extreme, but with highly optimized/unrolled code it should be possible to draw it in 8 scanlines or so... That would be done during the visible frame, so it wouldn't steal any VBlank time. One day I might try this.
Interesting idea. :) Could be used with mappers like UNROM to get multidirectional scrolling and a background based status bar on top. Wouldn't even waste cycles for the status bar area if some static timed task could be run there... I might give this a try.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

thefox wrote:Could be used with mappers like UNROM to get multidirectional scrolling and a background based status bar on top. Wouldn't even waste cycles for the status bar area if some static timed task could be run there... I might give this a try.
I imagined using the first few scanlines of the frame to draw the status bar (since those scanlines are outside the safe area you wouldn't want any information there anyway) and then a sprite hit would indicate the end of the status bar. At that point you might need to blank a few more scanlines, in order to avoid vertical scrolling glitches. Please let us know if you code something like this!
thefox

Post by thefox »

tokumaru wrote:
thefox wrote:Could be used with mappers like UNROM to get multidirectional scrolling and a background based status bar on top. Wouldn't even waste cycles for the status bar area if some static timed task could be run there... I might give this a try.
I imagined using the first few scanlines of the frame to draw the status bar (since those scanlines are outside the safe area you wouldn't want any information there anyway) and then a sprite hit would indicate the end of the status bar. At that point you might need to blank a few more scanlines, in order to avoid vertical scrolling glitches. Please let us know if you code something like this!
True, I forgot about sprite 0 hit (although the polling would still waste some cycles, but at least it'd allow running some variable timed task during the status bar as long as its worst case run time is known). I'll keep you posted.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I honestly hate horizontal mirroring... I think since our eyes are side by side, we have a more panoramic vision, and thus notice the glitches on the left and right edges of the screen more so than we would on the top and bottom.
I understand your point, and that's your opinion.
However have you checked my unfinished demo against the real SMB3 ? You'd notice the attribute glitches are MUCH less noticeable in my demo in fact if you didn't KNOW they were there you are likely not to ever notice them. Even more so on PAL hardware where 2 pixels aren't rendered on the right edge (and on the left too but it's hidden by $2001 masking anyways).

I hardly ever see vertical glitches; maybe it's just my TV. Like others said, they're also easier to mask by blanking out scanlines.
You should play Final Fantasy in Nintendulator and you'll definitely have a hard time NOT so see them.

By the way it's good to see you're back.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Bregalad wrote:
Celius wrote:I hardly ever see vertical glitches; maybe it's just my TV. Like others said, they're also easier to mask by blanking out scanlines.
You should play Final Fantasy in Nintendulator
Nintendulator doesn't emulate NTSC overscan. It shows the entire picture that the emulated RGB PPU generates.

I've found another technique to make mirroring glitches harder to see: draw blank tiles in the row of tiles that crosses the seam. A blank tile never has the wrong attribute. I use this for the scrolling text in Concentration Room and my multicart engine.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

tepples wrote: Nintendulator doesn't emulate NTSC overscan. It shows the entire picture that the emulated RGB PPU generates.
Absolutely, that's exactly why I was saying that. Sorry I forgot to mention it at first
I've found another technique to make mirroring glitches harder to see: draw blank tiles in the row of tiles that crosses the seam. A blank tile never has the wrong attribute. I use this for the scrolling text in Concentration Room and my multicart engine.
This is an interesting technique. It will probably work wonders for scrolling text (hem hem... such as the Power Pak Menu which currently looks terrible on my PAL NES). However for a scrolling level it might be just as noticeable if tiles "pops" in and out when scrolling. If would work fine in a game with overall dark graphics, but not so good with a game with overall bright graphics.
Also it would add unnecessary tile updates for scrolling.

That being said I'd still consider doing this as it's better than showing the wrong tiles.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
djcouchycouch

Post by djcouchycouch »

I just happened to be watching the ending to Bubble Bobble 2 when I noticed it has the same artifacts, but vertically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMg5kL1Dxg&feature=related

Happens about half way through the video, when scrolls upward.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

You shouldn't be surprised, a lot of NES games suffer from that. I'd guess that 98% of the games with 8-way scrolling have glitches either vertically or horizontally, and a good portion of the games that scroll in only one axis have them too, without any good excuse.

Many of the Mega Man games for example have scrolling glitches, even though they only scroll in one axis at a time. There's no (real) excuse for that, since they use a mapper with mirroring control. I believe that the reason they simulate 1-screen mirroring is to always have one free name table for the in-game menus. With just a little extra work (i.e. allowing the menu to be split across both name tables or even re-rendering the whole background when leaving the menu) they could have avoided the glitches.
qbradq

Post by qbradq »

Mega Man 1 used UNROM which has not mirroring control. On the vertical scrolls you will see some glitching at the bottom. I honestly think they just reused that same engine for at least the next game and did not mess with the scrolling.

Maybe someone more familiar with the code of the Mega Man series can comment.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

qbradq wrote:Mega Man 1 used UNROM which has not mirroring control.
Yeah, I know. It doesn't have glitches when scrolling horizontally though, which the later games have. I was mainly talking about them, the MMC3 ones.
qbradq

Post by qbradq »

Ah, OK. I have really only played Mega Man 2 extensively, so I was confused :D
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Some TVs cut off a lot of vertical space, horizontal too but not to such a degree. For example, the TV a friend and I played NES on all the time, didn't have a problem with it until we tried Legacy of the Wizard and you couldn't really see where the ladders are on the bottom of the screen (maybe only 1 or 2 rows of pixels visible).

Same goes for the top 8 scanlines, you can see it an every emulator pretty much, but on any TV that I've seen, it's not visible at all. Maybe that's why it's so obvious in that Bubble Bobble 2 video.