INL HiLoROM SNES flash cart

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
rippedtrojan

Re: INL HiLoROM SNES flash cart

Post by rippedtrojan » Thu May 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Hello all, first post here. Please forgive my ignorance, but I just stumbled upon this board and I am quite intrigued. I have some questions regarding the use of the flash cart.

Edit: After extensive browsing of this site during some fine time at work, I've managed to gain the knowledge I previously lacked. Ordered up my cart and writer today. Can't wait to test it out!

satashi26

Post by satashi26 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Checking in to see if anyone figured out the error in which games randomly shut off with these boards yet? Messaged INL about 8 times through email and just sent a PM here with no reply. I'm sitting on five 4MB boards and three 12MB boards that won't work....

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:45 pm

The problem you describe I had when using a 3rd party power supply.

satashi26

Post by satashi26 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:48 am

Yeah but that's not the case unfortunately. It's not the system or the power supply.

satashi26

Post by satashi26 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:50 am

Josh86 wrote:
What power supply are you using?
Everything with my SNES is stock/original. Same one I've had since that one Christmas where I got it with Link to the Past :D. It could still be power related I suppose, but I doubt it. I get right around 120V in my upstairs office that off a subpanel circuit -- but power could always fluctuate. The SNES could probably operate just fine within a 110-130V (then dropped down by AD to DC adapter) range as most non-sensitive electronics do.
If the signal to the TV cuts out, it's not software related at all. It's related to the lockout chip.
One thing you could do if you wanted would be to install a switched lockout bypass mod.
Pretty much what I'm seeing. Thanks for pointing this out. I haven't had the issues since however *shrug* I've read the lockout chip can sometimes prevent games from working consistently. If I ever do want to mod it, I will probably also cut out the tabs that prevent SFC games from being inserted as well (I don't think I'll ever buy any NTSC SFC games though).

I'd also assume that if I got a black, gray, or garbled screen -- it's a game crash due to bad programming, some kind of copy protection, or the like. This was not my case, however.
Got to try my hands on some third party consoles, mainly the retro portable. Boards seemed to work fine, as they didn't crash in the usual places. I only got to test and not really play so I'm not 100% sure. So this could be the lock out chip....If that's the case, I'd have to warn anyone who would consider buying these boards that they seem to randomly work and randomly not work on official hardware. In other words:

These flash carts don't normally work on official SNES hardware ( most likely due to lock out chip ) If you are considering buying these, then be aware it probably won't work on your official system

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:38 am

That's not the case with many other people. As I said I had problems where the screen went black because the lockout chip decided to stop. This problem went away for me with a different (official) power supply. One thing you could do on your console having problems would be to perform the CIC mod to disable it. Then you could see if it still has problems. Another path, if you could obtain a power supply that you could hookup to your SNES and provides more power it could help.

All you said was "it's not the system or power supply". You did not say what you tried or how you decided that. It could indeed be your system or the power supply for it. Again, many people are using these carts and they work great. And they are using original hardware.

satashi26

Post by satashi26 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:51 am

Also many people are using them and they don't work great. The main problem I'm having is lack of support or contact from the creator of the carts. They just don't work right. It could be a new batch. When the carts first came in, he responded with "Take a picture of the compasitors as clear as you can for me" like he's had this problem before. I think he just had a bad batch made.

Here's what I've done:

I've used three different official power supplies
I've used a Yobo power supply
I've used a Retro AC power supply
I've used a 3-in-1 power supply (don't know the name brand on this)
I've used all the above randomly on 16 different SNES consoles.

None of this worked on 4MB or 12MB boards.

Put a few in a retro hand held device and they worked. Tried in a Retro Duo and it worked.

If we can come up with anything else, I would LOVE it. I really want these to work.

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:34 am

Can you try the cartridges with a system that has the lockout disabled or by using a device that allows you to use a second cartridge's CIC instead of the one from the game you wish to play? Some import adapters allow you to plug in one cart for the console matching CIC and the other for the game you want to play. Working on clones, maybe the CIC on those isn't present or isn't allowed to reset the machine when it fails.

getafixx

Post by getafixx » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am

One thing you could check is what kind of CIC is used on your boards. Some of them have the Jims Cool AVR CIC, and others have the PIC12F629 running the SuperCIC. I know INL had noticed issues with the Jims Cool CIC on PAL systems, not sure if maybe there was something else involved there. I know I've had quite a few of his boards, and I've never had a single problem with any of them on any of my systems which include a SNES 1, Snes Jr, Super Famicom and a PAL Snes. I've used all of his different board sizes as well, again without issues.

EDIT: Also, just wanted to note that the only systems of mine running on 1st party power supplies are the SNES 1 and SFC. The others are running on 3rd party PS.

idrik

Post by idrik » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:58 am

is it possible to play Tales Of Phantasia with this Hirom/lorom 8MByte (64 Mbit) ?

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:39 am

Yes, ToP should work. Like Star Ocean though, it might require some data reordering.But the hardware should be able to support the game.

idrik

Post by idrik » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:20 am

arf i buy it juste for that game and gimmick :(

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:34 am

I don't understand what you mean. ToP will work. It just might take a few tries to figure out how to load it onto the cartridge.

idrik

Post by idrik » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:54 am

I've been testing the game is 6Mbyte with 8MByte card, so I extended the Rom with lunar expend but black screen: (

Rom running under bsnes?

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:19 pm

You don't want to use Lunar Expand with ToP.

For ToP you might need to copy the last 2MB of ROM data onto the end of the ROM to make it 8MB. But this is just a guess. I did not find any exact instructions on how you need to map data for ToP. But once the data is in the right place the game will surely run.