INL HiLoROM SNES flash cart

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
idrik

Re: INL HiLoROM SNES flash cart

Post by idrik »

thanks MottZilla for reply i test it and tell you the result :)
idrik

Post by idrik »

i have tested black screen under inl snes 8Mbyte card ?

the rom is good under Bsnes:

the rom:

Copie de tales2.7z - 4.0 MB
idrik

Post by idrik »

all is good now :)
funraiser

Post by funraiser »

How can I get one of this cart with a programmer ? I use windows PC and wish to program some roms from the web to test out my SNES machine.

EDIT : I think I found the website in this thread and placed my order.. waiting for them now... :)
thebigman1106

Post by thebigman1106 »

Hi Guys
I'm having real trouble getting star ocean working on my 12mb inl board.

I seam to have gotten various roms working (DKC Comp, Translated Back to the future 2, Various RPGs), however the star ocean will not boot.

I have tested it with both the interlaced and deinterlaced rom (patched from http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messag ... did=120150). Any one able to point me in the right direction of a known working patch?

Thanks
jockel

Post by jockel »

infiniteneslives wrote:In general 6MB games:

People are used to splitting them into two files when using 4MB flash chips, one 2MB file, and one 4MB file. The 4MB file comes from the first 4MB of the 6MB rom. the 2MB file come from the last 2MB of the rom.

Start with empty file. Take the 2MB file (from end or rom) double it, put it as first 4MB of new file. Take 4MB file (from begining of 6MB file), place it at end of new file which should now be 8MB file. Program & Play. A future firmware revision will handle all that for you at a TBD date.
Sorry if this is stupid, I just want to confirm I did everything correctly.
I took a headerless Tales of Phantasia ROM (6MB), and copied a block from offset 400000 - 5FFFFF.
Pasted that twice in to a new file, adding up to a file that ends at 3FFFFF.
After that, I copied offsets 00000000 - 3FFFFF from the original file to 400000 in the new file, so it ends at 7FFFFF.

File doesn't boot in bsnes, doesn't work when flashed.
Where did I go wrong?
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

Jockel, are you using a 8MB board, 12MB? I think those instructions were intended for 8MB. It may not work for 12MB boards.
jockel

Post by jockel »

Sure, it's an 8MB board. When I tried expanding with Lunar expander (before reading this thread) it would at least boot up in bsnes, but not on hardware. I even tried another 8MB board to rule out a faulty flash chip, but nope.
If someone could PM me some 'detailed instructions' I'd be really thankful.
jockel

Post by jockel »

So after fiddling around a bit and dumping the ROM again, it seems like every bit is 8 too high. When I compare the ROM I tried to write to the dump, values that should be 11 are 19, 35 becomes 3D and so on.
What could cause this?
FYI, I'm using the alternative writer with its supplied firmware.
Lyjal

Post by Lyjal »

Will it ever be possible to add on enhancement chips to these carts?
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

No, never. Is it possible to make a flash cart with them, yes it's possible. But I think it's safe to say, INL does not ever plan to make one supporting the extra chips.
Lyjal

Post by Lyjal »

Thanks!

I am sure there are lots of issues with the special chips. I am sure they are proprietary, so you can't just ask some company to make several hundred for you to put into your custom made carts, so that makes sense. You would probably have to cannibalize several hundred carts to get that many chips.

I was trying to find a way to put some hacks onto carts without paying the usual high cost that people charge for repros. I was also hoping to get the write/rewrite capability that FLASH gives you. Specifically, I was hoping to do some Mario Kart editing and put those onto carts, but it looks like the only way to do that would be to make repros or buy an SD2SNES, which doesn't really fit with the writing/rewriting that I would want to do with the hacks or keeping it cheap.

Thanks again!
Markfrizb

Post by Markfrizb »

Why not just mount a ZIF socket on a Mario kart cartridge to do your testing? Use the "tsop to snes mask rom" adapter that you can program and reprogram. Then it's just a matter of popping it in the ZIF socket to test. Can your programmer program 27c322's EPROMs? Or 29F032's? Mario mart is so small, the 27c080 would work too.

Since we are on the subject, what can the max size of a Mario kart program be?
It has 36 pins for a mask rom buy only uses 32 mask roms. Can it be bigger than 1mbyte?
Lyjal

Post by Lyjal »

My programmer is a big fat nothing right now. I am still futzing around with hacks, but I have been talking to my friends about putting stuff on carts and we all think it would be really fun to play on actual hardware. Right now I don't have the tools required to do hardware work. INL's boards and programmer looked like an ideal solution, but I will look into the other FLASH alternatives to see if I can get something that will work for us--that is unless there is a way to make the INL boards compatible with the chips.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

DSP1 games could possibly be playable with an adapter to use the DSP chip from an original game in conjunction with the flash cartridge. This is the only chip that this can be done with though. This led to many people incorrectly believing it could be done with any chip game. It is only DSP1 that this can work with.

For other games with chips that have hacks, your options are SD2SNES if it supports it, or emulation.