It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:16 am 

Lyjal wrote:
My programmer is a big fat nothing right now. I am still futzing around with hacks, but I have been talking to my friends about putting stuff on carts and we all think it would be really fun to play on actual hardware. Right now I don't have the tools required to do hardware work. INL's boards and programmer looked like an ideal solution, but I will look into the other FLASH alternatives to see if I can get something that will work for us--that is unless there is a way to make the INL boards compatible with the chips.

There is no way the infl. Cart can run Mario kart. That just won't happen. 32 pin ZIF (ZIF is zero insertion socket) sockets are plentiful and cheap. Even the cheapest programmer can burn 27c080 EPROMs which is what you'd use unless the program grew bigger than 1 megabyte. This is just an easy way to run your protos. Of course some of the other flash carts can run DSP games so you may want to consider those. PowerPak and maybe the everdrive. These would be a good way to test also.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:30 pm 

I just don't know, Mark. Making a repro just seems like it takes a lot of technical skills and whenever I had read about people wanting to make them the advice tends to be: don't. I have only ever soldered a few things before (though one of them was a GBA Afterburner front light...), but just from all of the troubleshooting people look like they go through, it just seems like it would be very difficult to try to learn how to get the board, destroy boards learning how to solder, screw up a hundred times with the programmer, etc. INL's boards looked pretty easy. It's not that I am unwilling to learn, but we were searching for a cheap, immediate solution. Even buying a programmer, donor cart, soldering iron, and EPROMs would be more expensive than a flash cart and Kazzo programer.

Maybe we can try hacking games that are just HiROM or LoROM. Most games look like they don't use special chips. I might just end up doing SMW hacks instead for things we will try to put on carts.

I was hoping there would be an easier solution that wasn't $150 for an SD2NES, but it looks like not.

On the other hand, if I ever decided to make more than 5-10 carts, the programmer would seem like the way to go. I just don't foresee myself needing that many hacked carts at one time, and I don't even know if I would be able to do that hardware modding.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:31 pm 

MottZilla wrote:
DSP1 games could possibly be playable with an adapter to use the DSP chip from an original game in conjunction with the flash cartridge. This is the only chip that this can be done with though. This led to many people incorrectly believing it could be done with any chip game. It is only DSP1 that this can work with.

For other games with chips that have hacks, your options are SD2SNES if it supports it, or emulation.

What kind of adapter would you need? Is this something that is commercially available for cheap or extremely cheap/easy to make? (I am guessing no on both counts)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:26 pm 

Your best bet is to get a Super Everdrive then. It can run the DSP1 (you need to solder one in there), and its only around $80.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:33 pm 

Lyjal wrote:
What kind of adapter would you need? Is this something that is commercially available for cheap or extremely cheap/easy to make? (I am guessing no on both counts)

This is the one I was thinking of that *might* work. http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php? ... ucts_id=40

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:12 am 

MottZilla wrote:
This is the one I was thinking of that *might* work. http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php? ... ucts_id=40

I was thinking along this lines for a superFX "piggy back"....not sure if it would work though. Although I was thinking of using a import adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:59 pm 

MottZilla wrote:

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:33 pm 

thebigman1106 wrote:
MottZilla wrote:

I was thinking along this lines for a superFX "piggy back"....not sure if it would work though. Although I was thinking of using a import adapter.

I already stated, you cannot "piggyback" a Super FX game. It will not work. The "piggy back" method only works on the DSP chips.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:16 pm 

Anyone have luck running the software on Linux? I have Windows 8.1, but do my coding in Arch Linux, and would like to flash from there. I ordered a programmer board with an SNES port, and an SNES flash cart (A dead DKC2 cart will serve as its case), and am looking forward to use it for my homebrew projects, and maybe play some games that the board supports.

On that front, is there a list of games that will work? I would assume anything with an extra chip wouldn't, just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:00 pm 

Pretty much any game not using any extra coprocessors will work. Games that feature software based protections of SRAM or ROM mirroring nature may require a simple patch with a program like UCON64. Games over 32 megabits might be slightly tricky to get programmed due to the arrangement of data, but they do work.

So the games left out are the same games left out on most other flash carts and copier machines. No Super FX, SA-1, SDD-1, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:48 am 

Well, I seem to be having an issue with the flasher. Upon selecting a ROM, and clicking "Write to Kazoo", the program will automatically get the "Not Responding" look, and a "Not working" box which will of course close the program.

Attempting to erase the cart gives me this:

Code:
    [WriteHeaderToKazzo=>WriteBufferToKazzo] <WriteBufferToKazzo:0,0> Could not load type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IAsyncStateMachine' from assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
    [EraseCart=>EraseCart] Failed to send Erase header. Cart may not be inserted or Kazzo may not be ready. Reseat/Reset and try again!
    [handleEraseThreaded=>EraseCart_Threaded] Operation time: 0.41 seconds.

The cart is facing properly, (battery away from the board), I have inserted it completely, and it seems to detect the cart size, but cannot write it. The firmware was updated using the included bat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:32 pm 

Did you try both the original and the new program for programming? Here is the thread for the newer one. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11020

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:48 pm 

So after all my troubles with my boards and the INL in general, I took a long break from using it out of sheer frustration. Now, coming back, I try to do a simple write to make sure everything was ok. I attempted to do E.V.O and after it wrote I tested it to have Super Mario World on the cart. Thought it was weird and tried Chrono Trigger. Same thing. Super Metroid; same thing. So I thought it wasn't writing or even erasing. After 4 or 5 attempts, I'm getting the error:

[btnEraseClick=>handleEraseThreaded] Erasing cart.
[ThreadStart_Context=>EraseCart] Erasing single-chip SNES Cart.
[EraseCart=>EraseCart] Sending erase header to cart. Header index:0
[EraseCart=>WriteHeaderToKazzo] Called with HeaderID 0.
[WriteHeaderToKazzo=>WriteBufferToKazzo] Device is open.
[WriteHeaderToKazzo=>WriteBufferToKazzo] Writing page 1 of 1.
[WriteHeaderToKazzo=>WriteBufferToKazzo] Transfer failed, retrying...
[WriteHeaderToKazzo=>WriteBufferToKazzo] <WriteBufferToKazzo:0,0> Transfer failed at page 0!
[EraseCart=>EraseCart] Failed to send Erase header. Cart may not be inserted or Kazzo may not be ready. Reseat/Reset and try again!
[handleEraseThreaded=>EraseCart_Threaded] Operation time: 10.28 seconds.

So I tried redoing the firmware, using original firmware, re-doing everything, trying different boards, everything I could think of. BOTH my Kazoos won't even recognize there's a board in them anymore.... anyone have any ideas or had something similar happen?

(quit edit: yes the board is inserted properly. :D )

EDIT: Fixed with a good cleaning

Last edited by satashi26 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:56 am 

After you tell it to erase, how long are you waiting? Erasing can take awhile depending on how big the flash is on your cartridge. The LED as I recall is supposed to help you know when erasing has completed. To be safe, tell it to erase and then wait atleast 1 minute. Then after that you can try to program another ROM image.

Also, what size is your cartridge? 4MB, 8MB, 12MB?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:51 pm 

4 MB board, and it takes the normal amount of time to erase. The light dimmed before and stayed dim for a minute or so. But currently it won't even do that since it won't recognize the boards anymore.

Also the firmware update doesn't seem to want to hold either. Like I'll update it, the program recognizes the update, then after a few failed attempts it stops working and when I reset it or ask it to find the kazoo, it says I need to update the firmware again... Happens on both my kazoos.

EDIT: Fixed with a good cleaning

Last edited by satashi26 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next