Legible SNES Schematics

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
jwdonal

Re: Legible SNES Schematics

Post by jwdonal »

tepples wrote:It's called SVG. Render at high res, render at low res, it's still the same file, and it'll still look sharp as long as your coordinates are aligned to the grid.
Ok, so you export the schematic as an SVG file? Or you use an SVG font? I haven't used SVG before so it's not clear. Thanks!
tepples

Post by tepples »

jwdonal wrote:Ok, so you export the schematic as an SVG file?
Yes.
qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo »

jwdonal wrote:
hyarion wrote:why not use the PCB revision names instead of those numbers?
That is really awesome. I was not aware that anyone had figured out the PCB revisions. Thanks a lot for the info. I have added it to my previous post. :)
Huh... it's printed right on the boards. Missed that when I was photographing them. I've renamed my photos to match as well. I guess the 2 revisions I'm missing are the 1CHIP-02 and 1CHIP-03 versions.
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

qwertymodo wrote:Huh... it's printed right on the boards.
What I meant was I wasn't aware that we knew every board revision that was made, the year it was made, and all of the silkscreen labels for a particular revision. I thought it was still a little up in the air, but it seems it's nailed down. :)

--

More progress...getting there...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/362 ... gress3.png
Last edited by jwdonal on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyarion

Post by hyarion »

@jwdonal you have some more info about some of the revisions here http://console5.com/wiki/SNES
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

tepples wrote:
jwdonal wrote:Ok, so you export the schematic as an SVG file?
Yes.
I didn't see any way to export/save as SVG so I just exported to a PDF and then used InkScape to convert the PDF to an SVG. The SVG version of the schematic looks fine to me. I guess I don't see what the difference is between the SVG/PDF versions of the schematic. If I put both of them up side-by-side on my two monitors they look the same to me...(except that the SVG is 4x the size of the PDF)...
thefox

Post by thefox »

jwdonal wrote:but the actual schematic when printed to PDF (or whatever) is ultra-high resolution.
It's not technically correct to call it "ultra-high resolution" because because PDF is not a raster format, so there's no "resolution" to worry about (unless the program prints the schematics as raster images inside the PDF -- not likely). SVG is also a vector format so there's no difference between the two formats when it comes to this.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

There's no particular reason to care about PDF vs SVG: they're both widely supported vector formats. (Some other ones, such as DXF, HPGL, Postscript, EMF, RIPscrip, &c aren't as wide-spread, popular, supported on more than one OS, or even have modern viewers).
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

I know they aren't the best shots, but I took pictures of the revision with the video encoder relocated among other things:

jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

Pasky wrote:I know they aren't the best shots, but I took pictures of the revision with the video encoder relocated among other things:
Jeez Pasky, that PCB looks brand new out of the box. There isn't even one spec of dust on that thing. O_o

--

Almost done! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/362 ... gress4.png
Last edited by jwdonal on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

Pretty much done now. Just going to add some net labels.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/362 ... gress5.png

--

Anyone else besides lidnariq and nocash feeling like volunteering to help me check this for errors before the first public release? If not, that's cool, just checking one last time.
Last edited by jwdonal on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whicker

Post by whicker »

jwdonal wrote:Pretty much done now. Just going to add some net labels.

Anyone else besides lidnariq and nocash feeling like volunteering to help me check this for errors before the first public release? If not, that's cool, just checking one last time.
yes, I would like to go over it as well.
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

I have sent out the first draft release to the volunteers. After I get some feedback from them I will post the first public release here.

Someone mentioned posting the schematic on the nesdev wiki. But the wiki appears to be NES-related stuff only - no SNES. Could someone point me to the right place?
tepples

Post by tepples »

I wonder if wiki.superfamicom.org would be interested.
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

tepples wrote:I wonder if wiki.superfamicom.org would be interested.
Doesn't look like I even need to register or anything. There is no contact info that I can find either. So I guess I'll just post it there and they can delete it if they want. Lol

--

I'm still waiting for feedback from a couple people but I was toying with the idea of having multi-color busses in the schematic. There are numerous busses in the schematic and I thought it might be helpful if they were color coded. Although I'm not sure if this just makes the schematic look terrible/ugly. Here are a couple screenshots with and without multi-color busses. Any opinions? Keep in mind that every release will include both a monochrome and color schematic. So if you don't like color at all there will always be a black&white one for you. :)

And, no, you can't change the color of those bus junction points (little dots where two bus segments meet). I tried everything I could think of but there is no way to change the color...which is extremely annoying.