Lethal Enforcers player 2 with blue Justifier mod.

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
marvelus10

Lethal Enforcers player 2 with blue Justifier mod.

Post by marvelus10 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 am

I was recently asked this question from another member, I thought maybe others would be interested.

I have a modified blue Justifier that plays as player 2 (pink gun). Here is the simple mod to do so.

I am in no way claiming this was my mod, credit goes to the person I bought this from and sorry I cannot remember who you are. Chime in if you are here if you want.
Attachments
justifier-2.jpg

Markfrizb

Re: Lethal Enforcers player 2 with blue Justifier mod.

Post by Markfrizb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:26 pm

I assume that the connector is just a regular phone cable?

bazz

Post by bazz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:18 pm

I don't get it. Does this mean the original game wasn't 2 player, or couldn't be played with 2 seperate gun controllers?

Markfrizb

Post by Markfrizb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:18 pm

I believe that it is capable of 2 players with the addition of the second gun. First gun plugs into the console. Second gun (which does NOT have a snes controller connector) plugs into a "phone" type connector into the first gun. SO player 2 gun originally had a cable that terminated with a phone type connector that plugs into the first gun. I assume that the circuit board in the player 2 gun is different???
Anyways, that about all i know about it.

marvelus10

Post by marvelus10 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 am

The "phone type cable" to connect the two seems pretty standard 6 wires match at both ends.

As for two players. As far as I know you cannot plug 2 player 1 (blue guns) into each controller port. However I could be wrong though as I have never actually tried it.

Both guns are identical inside one wired to the SNES port and one wired to the "phone jack style" port. Both guns basically run off SNES controller port 1.

Markfrizb

Post by Markfrizb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:23 pm

marvelus10 wrote:
As for two players. As far as I know you cannot plug 2 player 1 (blue guns) into each controller port. However I could be wrong though as I have never actually tried it.

Both guns are identical inside one wired to the SNES port and one wired to the "phone jack style" port. Both guns basically run off SNES controller port 1.
I'm pretty sure you cannot use the blue gun in the player 2 port. And I think the pink gun is differently wired inside..........but I could be wrong...maybe it is just the different connector...
There a video on youtube of a guy using 2 guns playing.........I'll try to find it.

Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:45 pm

The SNES controller port 2 is special. The IObit line, when changed, latches the H/V counters which copies the current raster position of the PPU (the x,y coordinate of the current pixel being output). Light guns watch for the CRT beam cannon, and flip that bit when they see it. Along with an "adjust your aim" screen to offset for the latency, this is how the light guns (including the Super Scope and MACS), work.

So if you plug the controller into port 1, it functions fine, but it won't latch the counters, because that's just how the system was designed. You could write software to probe PIO constantly to see when that controller's IObit changes, and manually latch the counters, but that would eat up all of your CPU time for the entire frame, so no software does it.

This is why the Justifier setup uses daisy chaining on controller port 2. With the second controller, they take turns each frame sending just one gun's data.

So, with special made homebrew, it'd be possible to craft a game that uses four light gun players, but the processing would be limited to about ~20% of the SNES' already anemic CPU power.

I'm sure that bit of trivia will prove very valuable to you all in the future :P

marvelus10

Post by marvelus10 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Thank you for chiming in Byuu.

Can I ask why the Super Scope and Justifier are not compatible with each others games. Is it possible to mod a Justifier to work with Super Scope games?

Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:42 am

They're different protocols, and the Super Scope has two extra buttons that the Justifier lacks.

jonny7even

Post by jonny7even » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:19 pm

I was wondering if you could clarify on the the wiring of the r-11 goes??

nintendo2600

Post by nintendo2600 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:17 pm

Does anyone here know of a proper solution to replace the light sensor in these Justifier guns? I've been told it could very well
be a custom part that is actually a phototransistor with a built in amp? I have tried many different phototransitors that have been suggested
to me and I also built one amp circuit as well so I can list what DOES NOT work from my experience so far:

LM741 op amp ciruit with a tept5600 series sensor, 1meg resistor in parallel with a 22pf cap & 2k variable resistor does not work.
I believe the LM741 being only 1Mhz could be an issue and it was metntioend to me that it could need an op amp upwards of 10mhz.
I'm not sure about that nor do I know the right part to make such a circuit with.

L14G1 and it's sub flavors of phototransistors do not work

TSL252R do not work

TSL235R do not work

So folks, anyone got a solution to this? Would be nice to have the information posted openly on the interwebs for all to see and use.
You would think this would have been sorted and shared 20 years ago but it has not :(