It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:00 pm 

Please note that I only suggested it to John when I met him at an event. He said that it would have to up to the SNES programmer to see if he was interested in releasing/selling his tools.

Since NESmaker was so successful. It seems as if it would only make sense if they also did a kickstarter and did some sort of SNES maker tool.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:08 pm 

Part of my hypothesis for this, if you'll recall, is the asset complexity gap between NES and Super NES. It appears to be confirmed by this review of Sydney Hunter, which took marks off for underusing the S-PPU. Apparently you have to have parallax, not just TG16-class graphics, if you want to sell a Super NES game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:14 pm 

I think the key lesson is...if you want a COMMERCIALLY successful SNES game, it should have multiple layers (parallax), or Mario Kart style perspective, or professional quality artwork.

But, freeware homebrews, should be free to look like Space Invaders to be "good" (see Classic Kong).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:15 pm 

Thing is, if I see a homebrew severely underutilizing the platform it was coded for, I'll hardly be interested. When someone targets a specific console, I expect them to use most of the features it has to offer, and I expect the game to look AT LEAST like the typical games made for that system back in the day (If they go the extra mile and try to surpass what the typical games had to offer, even better!), otherwise I'll feel underwhelmed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:59 pm 

Which means you see a lot more projects that should have been TG16-scale either get scaled back to the NES or just released as a PC game instead.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:16 pm 

I don't know about the TG16 thing, because one of the first rules pseudo-8-bit games break is the single scrolling background layer, and the TG16 could only fake a second layer using sprites. I've seen many games that could slmost pass for NES games, if it weren't for the background parallax layer. Aspect ratio is disregarded very frequently too, since all displays are wide-screen nowadays. Pixels artists also appear to feel tempted to sneak in 1 or 2 extra sprite colors. The sprites-per-scanline limit goes out the window fairly frequently too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:24 am 

I bet you could do a decent rendition of Shovel Knight on the Super NES using Mode 0, with perhaps some cleverness required for certain cases. I'm not sure the MMC5 quite covers it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21