INL FlashCart - New Host App (RELEASED)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
resp0nse

Re: INL FlashCart - New Host App (RELEASED)

Post by resp0nse »

This guy deserve HUGE PROPS for doing this! Please; keep on doing what you are(were) doing, Danin! :)
XTElite1

Post by XTElite1 »

I just wanted to say a quick thank you for an awesome application. Any game without copy protection or an enhancement chip works great without much effort. I hope the new version is still in the works and look forward to it.
bluedanger

Post by bluedanger »

Is this thread still alive?
I just purchased the INL HiLo ROM board. I also just installed this vesrion of fireware found on first page.

I don't understand, fulkly, if I buy a 8MB board from Paul INL, it seems alot of people had issues? I am very new to SNES as I have done NES repros with Kazzo and soldering, but I am curious about the 8MB board. Pauls website advises to not use the 12MB board, so I am a bit confused.

Anyone had luck with Star Ocean?
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Hi there.

A NintendoAge forum user "BerserkerNES" wanted his custom Final Fantasy IV (FF2 US) cart updated to have this newer patch:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337/

Here is the NintendoAge thread where I came across his request:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messagevie ... did=179417

His cart has an INL 4MB board. I already had an INL Kazzo programmer / dumper. I purchased it a few years ago to dump a prototype NES game and I'm not sure how it compares to other Kazzo board revisions. It's a 3-slot version for NES, Famicom, and SNES. The silkscreened writing on the board indicates "v1.x," "v1.2b," and "Nov2013." I offered to update his cart and he sent it to me. His cart shows "Oct2016 v1.3"

I followed this guide:
https://youtu.be/70unaVDaxMw
...and the video also links back to this thread.

Well, it didn't go so smoothly and I'm still trying to figure out if the INL SNES board is faulty, the Kazzo flasher, or my software / files / settings / procedure.

I verified that my ROM matches the one described on RomHacking, using CRC32. I patched and tested the ROM file successfully in Higan emulator, and also on a real SNES using my SD2SNES cart.

With the INL SNES board still set to LoROM, I erased the cart and wrote the new data from the same patched ROM I had already tested.

The game is seriously glitched. Wiping SRAM didn't help. Attempting to get past the title screen, it fades to black and the music keeps playing forever. Unpatched FF2 US has similar glitches. On the black screen I can press X to access the in-game menu and save. On reboot, there's a save file. Selecting that leaves your character stuck in an overworld with only water and no terrain (completely immobile).

All the other unpatched games were glitched too.

Unpatched Super Mario World acts really strange because Yoshi's tongue won't come out. Other than that, it seems to play. You can still run, carry items, and do other attacks that use the Y button.

Tetris Attack is missing graphics on the title screen. Try to start a game and it freezes. If I return to the title screen from the main menu, I'll see garbled graphics. If it goes to the demonstration, it freezes.

I re-flashed the firmware from the OP and wrote unmodified Super Mario World again. It still has the same problem with Yoshi unable to extend his tongue.

So all 4 ROMs I've tested behave strangely. I don't have another INL SNES board or flasher to test with. Any advice?

Thanks!
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

I feel like I've heard about the yoshi tongue glitch before and turned out to be a dirty connector..? I've heard a number of weird issues using Danin's app which I can't explain. My first suggestion would be to flash those roms onto the board using my supplied software & firmware before concluding that something's damaged.

Anyway, Feel free to submit a support ticket on my site and we can discuss repair/replacement options if it appears to be damaged somehow.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

infiniteneslives wrote:I feel like I've heard about the yoshi tongue glitch before and turned out to be a dirty connector..? I've heard a number of weird issues using Danin's app which I can't explain. My first suggestion would be to flash those roms onto the board using my supplied software & firmware before concluding that something's damaged.

Anyway, Feel free to submit a support ticket on my site and we can discuss repair/replacement options if it appears to be damaged somehow.
Thanks! I couldn't find the "supplied" download on the web site page for Kazzo, which is the only reason I went searching elsewhere and found the YouTube video that led me to Danin's stuff. I'll try the software you linked as soon as I get back home.

[edit]
If the link is on the web page, I still can't find it. Perhaps because I'm partially colorblind, and also dealing with a poor quality LCD.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

infiniteneslives wrote:I feel like I've heard about the yoshi tongue glitch before and turned out to be a dirty connector..? I've heard a number of weird issues using Danin's app which I can't explain. My first suggestion would be to flash those roms onto the board using my supplied software & firmware before concluding that something's damaged.

It's not clear which of these firmware files I should install:
  • kazzo_mega164p_clipped.hex
    nes_kazzo_A53.hex
    retro_programmer.hex
    retro_programmer_11_30_2014.hex
    retro_programmer_12_22_2013.hex
    retro_programmer_12_6_2014.hex
    retro_programmer_1_20_2016.hex
    retro_programmer_1_20_2016_MMC4.hex
    retro_programmer_7_6_2013.hex
    retro_programmer_8_25_2015.hex
    retro_programmer_9_28_2013.hex
    retro_programmer_Aug18_2013.hex
    retro_programmer_aug19_2013.hex
    retro_programmer_MMC2.hex
    retro_programmer_MMC4.hex
[edit]
OK, I had gone to the Firmware folder and opened a README there, which was generic and didn't help with selecting which firmware. One of the many other README docs suggested running a batch file from a parent directory, so I did that and there was no error. Hopefully it means I have the correct firmware now.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Not sure if this would be the way to do it, but I turned the 1MB ROM file into 4MB like this:

copy /B derp8m.sfc+derp8m.sfc+derp8m.sfc+derp8m.sfc derp32m.sfc

Tried to write derp32m.sfc and I get "Error : -116"

[edit]
OK. I did the erase procedure this time. Now the Kazzo has a lit LED when I connect USB, but it turns off almost instantly when I try to write the 4,194,304 byte ROM file. Then the software is locked-up too.
infiniteneslives

Use the "click to load retro programmer.bat" which points to the current firmware release which is always named "retro_programmer.hex"
OK. I did the erase procedure this time. Now the Kazzo has a lit LED when I connect USB, but it turns off almost instantly when I try to write the 4,194,304 byte ROM file. Then the software is locked-up too.
The LED should be on when first power up/plug in. When you properly erase the board it will go dim for ~30sec. Doesn't sound like you're actually getting the board erased. If you don't get the dim LED it didn't erase and you'll get the errors you did. Make sure 'header' is selected and "ERASE_SNES.bin" loaded, then write that to erase the board. YOU MUST WAIT for the LED to go out before writting the rom file with 4MB selected in pull down.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

infiniteneslives wrote:Use the "click to load retro programmer.bat" which points to the current firmware release which is always named "retro_programmer.hex"
The LED should be on when first power up/plug in. When you properly erase the board it will go dim for ~30sec. Doesn't sound like you're actually getting the board erased. If you don't get the dim LED it didn't erase and you'll get the errors you did. Make sure 'header' is selected and "ERASE_SNES.bin" loaded, then write that to erase the board. YOU MUST WAIT for the LED to go out before writting the rom file with 4MB selected in pull down.
Thanks. I did the whole erase procedure again and waited for the light to go off. Then I attempted to write the ROM flie. The program became unresponsive, then finally failed with an error message: "Error in page : 0"

"(Not Responding)"

"Error in page : 0"

I ordered another SNES INL board the other day, so I guess that will tell me if this board is bad. The INL programmer is not available currently on the site, so I guess there's not much I can do if mine is bad.

Thanks for your help.

[edit]
Oops. I had tried to write the original 1MB file. I'll try the quadrupled file and report back...

[edit2]
Seems to be working. THANKS!
infiniteneslives

Thanks. I did the whole erase procedure again and waited for the light to go off. Then I attempted to write the ROM flie. The program became unresponsive, then finally failed with an error message: "Error in page : 0"
Yes the unresponsive issue is expected unfortunately, and the error in page zero indicates that you provided a rom smaller than the size selected in the drop down. But sounds like you mostly figured that out. I've got a new version I'm pushing to release by early March which resolves all of these issues, confusion, and annoyances. Drop me an email if you'd like to cancel your order I can see if there's still time. paul@infiniteneslives.com
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

infiniteneslives wrote:
Yes the unresponsive issue is expected unfortunately, and the error in page zero indicates that you provided a rom smaller than the size selected in the drop down. But sounds like you mostly figured that out. I've got a new version I'm pushing to release by early March which resolves all of these issues, confusion, and annoyances. Drop me an email if you'd like to cancel your order I can see if there's still time. paul@infiniteneslives.com
No need to cancel or return the extra board I ordered. It arrived. I'm attempting to write Wonder Project J English now.

Thanks for your help!

[edit]
Oh yeah. It worked fine :)