disassemble snes rom

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Gilberto9

disassemble snes rom

Post by Gilberto9 »

:| Is it possible to disassemble SNES rom without knowing the assembly language?? and what tools do you use??
segaloco

Re: disassemble snes rom

Post by segaloco »

da65 (the disassembler in cc65) should support 65816. That said, you're going to need to have some reference to the instructions or what you're doing will have little meaning. You can find the manual here: https://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc ... 5c816s.pdf

There's also Programming the 65816 by David Eyes and Ron Lichty if you want something a little more in depth. This title has more examples and tutorial information than the datasheet would have. It's the goto item on my bookshelf for 65816, and it also touches on the 6502.
Gilberto9

Post by Gilberto9 »

I want to disassemble a romhacking game of international super star soccer deluxe, about reference codes and others related to asm no. I have no understanding, but I would like to disassemble
segaloco

Post by segaloco »

Well I'm not sure what to tell you then. An exercise if you want to get familiar with the process is to take an existing title that has already been disassembled and partially recreate it. That's something I did very early on in my own study, I partially disassembled Sonic the Hedgehog, following along with an existing disassembly to get familiar with tools and practices.

Something else too that always slips my mind, there are tools like IDA and Ghidra if you're more of a GUI person (I'm not.)

Either way, good luck. Disassembly is no trivial process, there is stuff you're just going to have to hunker down and study if you want to be truly successful in the process.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

I have a small start of a Guide using Ghidra which really helps, but doing reverse needs 100% knowledge of assembly and the machines architecture, you won't be able to work out anything about it unless you can read the code as you will put in hundreds of hours to get the assembly code which you won't be able to read..
Gilberto9

Post by Gilberto9 »

Cool, my goal is to disassemble this ROM and analyze the things that were disassembled and edit something and then assemble it again but I don't know anything about how to disassemble the ROM
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

Gilberto9 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:49 pm Is it possible to disassemble SNES rom without knowing the assembly language?
No.
Gilberto9 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:20 am my goal is to [X] but I don't know anything about [X]
Learn [X].

Use the resources mentioned by segaloco:
https://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc ... 5c816s.pdf
https://archive.org/details/0893037893P ... ngThe65816
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Gilberto9

Post by Gilberto9 »

Sim obrigado,já estou me aprofundando nos estudos ASSEMBLY muito obrigado a todos pelas colaboração