It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:18 am 

benjaminsantiago wrote:
I've been trying to use Schism Tracker as well and then converting with snesmodlite, but the results are a little unpredictable (ie how samples get converted), not horrible, but unpredictable.

I haven't had many unexpected results using SNESMod. I have had issues with bass guitar samples under certain circumstances. In one song, the sample would be perfect and in another song it would be weird sounding at the beginning, maybe sort of crunchy and/or clicky. This was a long time ago, so I don't remember what steps I went through to fix it.

Other than that everything has always come out as expected.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:07 am 

the issue I had was with a snare sample that kind of trailed off, it got a little bit shorter and more "clamped down" in the final .spc file.

I also tried to pitch shift a sample up too far (I think 4 or 5 octaves I forget what the limits on the SNES are as I type this), and it just wasn't playing back.

Conversely, SNESGSS is pretty great/accurate as far as sound reproduction.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:21 pm 

Hi!

About the panning, I think it would be sufficient to be able to set pan on a per-instrument/per-channel basis, although a melody "meandering" from one speaker to the other (think The Prelude from the three Final Fantasy installments on the SNES) would be nice to have, too. :wink:

Altering SNESGSS myself is out of the question though, as is writing my own SPC700 sound engine (at the current time, at least). So my best bet is to concentrate on what I can do best, and use the available means to deliver it to the audience.

BTW, game size isn't really an issue nowadays, is it? So I'm not afraid of huge amounts of PCM data at all. The only thing that matters to me is that it sounds the way I want. :wink:

benjaminsantiago wrote:
That being said I quite like the demos, my only advice is that the walking furry character seems a bit asymetrical (ie like he is limping). What do you make your graphics with?

Thanks! :) As I said, all the graphics is placeholder artwork as I'm completely hopeless when it comes to drawing. :wink: The animated character in the current build is Gengen from Suikoden II, pretty much the only Furry character with a spritesheet suitable for this project out there on the web. I didn't reduce the number of frames, nor did I mess with the graphics itself. So if he's limping, it's not my fault. :lol:

(See my GitHub profile for more)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:03 pm 

My main concern with game sizes comes with distributing the game. It can be harder to distribute a game that ends up at a few hundred megabytes than it is to distribute a game that's 8 megabytes (mainly on file hosting concerns and bandwidth if the game gets frequently downloaded).

Well, SNESGSS still makes a good sound effect system.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:31 pm 

Ramsis wrote:
BTW, game size isn't really an issue nowadays, is it?

It is if you want to distribute copies to the public in cartridge form, or if you want the game to run on an emulator that doesn't support MSU-1 (such as emulators for old PCs or mobile devices).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:51 pm 
Formerly Espozo

Ehh... I'd rather people have their "dream game" then have to have it watered down just to fit on a pre existing SNES cart. (Like every arcade port ever.) There are always things that you can do to take up less space like compressing the graphics, but to be honest, if I ever make something, I probably won't even bother. It is always possible to make a custom cart for your game, but this is only really theoretical.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:59 pm 

I am in error in my research... I was using my local copy to look up the code, not the online copy.
Turns out SNESGSS added panning on December 26th, 2014, and I should download the new version.

I'm still interested myself, even if I'm going to manually make the music files myself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:35 am 

KungFuFurby wrote:
I am in error in my research... I was using my local copy to look up the code, not the online copy.
Turns out SNESGSS added panning on December 26th, 2014, and I should download the new version.

This is excellent news indeed. I hadn’t checked the SNESGSS code site since mid-December, so I missed the update. Thank you so much, KungFuFurby! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:33 am 
Formerly Espozo

Oh thank God Ramsis! You finally fixed your profile picture! :mrgreen: (I'm really crazy...)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:08 pm 

Espozo wrote:
Ehh... I'd rather people have their "dream game" then have to have it watered down just to fit on a pre existing SNES cart. (Like every arcade port ever.) There are always things that you can do to take up less space like compressing the graphics, but to be honest, if I ever make something, I probably won't even bother. It is always possible to make a custom cart for your game, but this is only really theoretical.

Theoretical??? That sure is an opinion..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:13 pm 
Formerly Espozo

Well I don't think you'd have a problem. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:17 am 

Espozo wrote:
Well I don't think you'd have a problem. :wink:

daww thanks m8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:04 am 

Ramsis I love your demo dude! Nice work!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:05 pm 

Thanks, bazz! :)

KungFuFurby wrote:

Hey, KungFuFurby, does panning work correctly for you? I was going to put up another build tonight featuring stereo music. Within the SNESGSS application, it works great, as it does with a directly exported SPC file. But once I export the SPC/music data and use it in my project, it's still mono. :?

Also, I couldn't get the SNESGSS sound driver to remain in SPC700 RAM while simply loading new music data, as all my tries resulted in garbage audio. Can you please elaborate on how this should be done? :)

Thanks,
Ramsis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:31 pm 

You need to issue a command to the SNESGSS sound driver to make it play sound in stereo (the sound is mono by default). The command ID according to the source code is 03, and you need to send it a parameter of 01 to make it stereo.

Feel free to use the old method for now for this build (as in, having copies of sound drivers per piece of music) if you're having trouble.

To initialize the sound driver (I'm using the pointer 0xC80000 for this, as this is your blank copy of a sound driver but no music/SFX in build 197), you would do the same thing as you did previously: get the filesize (which is the first two bytes of your file) and then get the pointer to the sound driver code, and then call the load routine.

For loading a new music pack (samples and all)...

First, you would take your compiled SNESGSS sample and code file (which defaults to spc700.bin according to official documentation), and (omitting the filesize, which is 2 bytes and may or may not be embedded in spc700.bin) skip the first 8 bytes of this file (as in, do not include), and only include six bytes. Put in a filesize of 6 bytes for this fragment, and when you call the load routine, send it to SPC700 memory location $0208 (These are the three pointers to the ADSR table, SFX and music).

Include the same spc700.bin file again, but this time skip the entire filesize of the sound driver (which, in decimal form, amounts to 2340 bytes). This is your sample pack with pointers and ADSR table (this is the basic version: we'll sort samples later). When you call the load routine, send this to SPC700 memory location $0B24.

Last, but not least, include your music file, and assign this a memory location of ($200 + filesize of sound driver + filesize of sample pack).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next