Getting back into learning SNES programming, having trouble setting up WLA DX?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Esns68

Getting back into learning SNES programming, having trouble setting up WLA DX?

Post by Esns68 »

Hello.

I've always wanted to learn to program for my favorite console, the SNES.
There were times years ago I would attempt to learn SNES assembly, and then got distracted and forgot about it.
It's been a long time now, and I feel like I'm ready to start learning again, with dedication.

Every time I did it, I would use WLA DX. First time I had a bit of trouble because I didn't know about the whole compiler itself working only with command prompt thing, so I learned how to work with it and make batch files and I started to get going with WLA.

https://wiki.superfamicom.org/setting-u ... nvironment

I'm trying to use that SNES starter kit because that helped me get started once, but this time I'm having issues getting anything, including the included example files to assemble, and I'm only trying test those included examples to make sure that WLA is working right. Any of those I throw at it will spit out some kind of error. It's pretty weird since those included files are supposed to work out of the box I assume, so something must be wrong. I also tried looking for the latest version of WLA, downloaded, extracted and tried to use that instead, but that one is popping up with a missing errormsvcr110.dll error. I just recently installed WIndows 10, so that might be the reason for that, though I needed to install VS C runtime stuff, after I tried to do that and resetting I still receive the same error. But the one in the SNES starter kit folder works in that sense, but it won't assemble anything I throw it at it.

Usually with a can't find or open file error, but everything has its own problem. Like:
https://i.imgur.com/Pp8XfGP.png
https://i.imgur.com/7qmOsg8.jpg

I hate to just drop such a newbie post in this thread, but I'm just confused and don't know what to do.
I'm just trying to get this set up and working right so I can start learning. So I'm really hoping someone is able to tell what is going on, because I'm really excited to get into this, and hopefully be part of it. if there's any other needed info I left out, please let me know and I'll do my best to provide as much info as possible.
I honestly just dove right into getting back into this so there is probably a lot I've forgotten about, but I'm working on relearning everything I knew.

Thank you for your time!!
tepples

Re: Getting back into learning SNES programming, having trouble setting up WLA DX?

Post by tepples »

Attaching screenshots here is better than uploading them to Imgur. Screenshots attached here will remain available even if Imgur disables hotlinking, as Photobucket did.

Copying and pasting from the Command Prompt window is even better than attaching screenshots. If you paste text, others don't have to spend time manually transcribing the text in order to try what you tried. See I downvoted because: Image of an exception and I downvoted because: Images of code. To learn how to copy from the Command Prompt window to the clipboard, see a tutorial on howtogeek.com or elsewhere.

In what folder are the files mymap.map and ascii.clr located?

Instead of trying to get WLA DX to work, another tack is to try to get cc65 to work. Follow the instructions at pinobatch/nrom-template to bring up cc65 and Python targeting NES, then follow the instructions at pinobatch/lorom-template to bring up the same targeting Super NES.
Esns68

Re: Getting back into learning SNES programming, having trouble setting up WLA DX?

Post by Esns68 »

tepples wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 am Attaching screenshots here is better than uploading them to Imgur. Screenshots attached here will remain available even if Imgur disables hotlinking, as Photobucket did.

Copying and pasting from the Command Prompt window is even better than attaching screenshots. If you paste text, others don't have to spend time manually transcribing the text in order to try what you tried. See I downvoted because: Image of an exception and I downvoted because: Images of code. To learn how to copy from the Command Prompt window to the clipboard, see a tutorial on howtogeek.com or elsewhere.

In what folder are the files mymap.map and ascii.clr located?

Instead of trying to get WLA DX to work, another tack is to try to get cc65 to work. Follow the instructions at pinobatch/nrom-template to bring up cc65 and Python targeting NES, then follow the instructions at pinobatch/lorom-template to bring up the same targeting Super NES.
Ok, sorry about that. I'll make sure to do that in the future. Thanks for the advice.

Those 2 mentioned files are in:
C:\Users\Name\Desktop\SNES-starterkit\Pictures

But I noticed they are both pcx files like everything else in there
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

According to Google, PCX is a palette indexed file format used by the DOS program PC paintbrush, mostly in the 1980s, and has since been replaced with BMP, GIF, and PNG file formats.

How old is this SNES tutorial?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

dougeff wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:27 pm According to Google, PCX is a palette indexed file format used by the DOS program PC paintbrush, mostly in the 1980s, and has since been replaced with BMP, GIF, and PNG file formats.

How old is this SNES tutorial?
PCX files were used throughout the 2000's. Have you never seen that format???
Esns68

Post by Esns68 »

Okay I figured it out guys.

I just had to run the included batch file convert_pic, which converts all of his included image files, and then compile his programs.

I'm so sorry I started this thread over such a easy solution. But at least beginners that run into that problem can just see this.
Again sorry guys, but thank you for your replies.