Finally on MSU1: Chrono Trigger with anime intro ;-)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
tepples

Re: Finally on MSU1: Chrono Trigger with anime intro ;-)

Post by tepples »

byuu wrote:but nobody wants to adapt game folders as a distribution model
Separate files for PRG ROM, CHR ROM, and a board manifest were the model for Pasofami and ZapFC formats. I'd be happy with distributing zipped game folders, with the extension .sfz (Super Famicom Zip) to get the file manager to open it in the emulator. It worked for Winamp (wsz), Java (jar), and StepMania (.smzip).
Upon dumping my US set, it turned out that Bazooka Blitzkrieg has a ROM size of 0x00, and RAM size of 0x08. Obviously they messed up and put the bytes backward, as the game has no RAM, and obviously has ROM.
Unless they planned to do it like the NES Action Replay and put the whole thing behind a suicide battery :p
But even if you put it on a new board with 48mbit, you will never make anything remotely pleasing that tries to mimic the FMV intro with that amount of remaining space, no matter how clever you are.
Yet Sonic 3D Blast opened with some sort of FMV. And 63.5 Mbit ExHiROM carts are well defined and available from INL.
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

byuu wrote:> Edit: I forgot to mention that you have to update your entire game library, as higan v096 in its standard settings simply ignores manifest.bml files instead of conveniently updating them. Why?

Because I don't tag manifests with version numbers, and if people left their old manifests around, the games would fail to play.
I wasn't meaning to ask why higan treats manifest files the way it does. The "why?" was a rhetorical question leading to an explanation of the need to update them manually.
byuu wrote:I explained all this in the release notes.
I read them long before posting here. I even read the discussion on your forum. I went ahead and deleted all my manifest files using the batch line you posted. Thereafter, none of my MSU1 games -- e.g. LoZ Deluxe, CT with anime intro, my own audio resume demo -- worked in higan v096 anymore (i.e., they played as if there was no MSU1 support).
byuu wrote:> no icarus support for MSU1-based games provided either.

This is incorrect. icarus v096 supports MSU1 game folders without the need for a manifest file at all. It just can't import them because it won't know what file names to look for
But isn't icarus' sole purpose to, well, import your games for use with the higan library? And even if icarus "supports" MSU1 games (though without being able to import them), then why doesn't higan?
byuu wrote:But you already can't distribute MSU1 games as a single ROM file. If you distribute it as a game folder, without a manifest, then it will work out of the box.
No. (See above.)
byuu wrote:You shouldn't. Going forward, manifests should not be used unless there's very good reason for it.
MSU1 is, IMHO. As are some old homebrewn S-DD1 video ROMs. Etc etc. :)
byuu wrote:But yeah, change sucks, I know.
That's not what I was getting at. I like higan. A lot. I like the way it has evolved over the years. My point was: The lack of documentation is a bit painful. If the manifest format changes -- fine. But please let your users (who are often developers as well) know what changed. After pulling out my back-up media with the lost manifest files, and lots of fiddling around, I managed to get all of my games working again, thanks to the new manifest viewer. But I assume there are many other users who aren't that lucky (or can't be bothered investing the time and effort).
byuu wrote:I'm doing the best I can with icarus now to prevent it from happening again as of v095+.
Thank you. :)
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Unofficial SNES PowerPak firmware
(See my GitHub profile for more)
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

> Thereafter, none of my MSU1 games -- e.g. LoZ Deluxe, CT with anime intro, my own audio resume demo -- worked in higan v096 anymore

Oh, were the manifests used to rename the files to odd things for support for sd2snes?

Shoot, sorry about the trouble. I didn't consider that use case and imagined anyone using higan (and not sd2snes) would be using the program.rom+msu1.rom+track-#.pcm file naming convention.

From higan's perspective, I hadn't changed the proper filenames.

> But isn't icarus' sole purpose to, well, import your games for use with the higan library?

icarus is meant to get games stored in legacy formats into higan.

The idea was that MSU1 is already a higan format, and people shouldn't be seeding them as "game.sfc+game.msu+game-#.pcm" ... they should come as game folders.

But again, it's hard to justify copying in a huge amount of gigantic files.

In the future, I may add some kind of "MSU1 pack" format, that's an archive full of MP3s and such to expand into a game folder. But that's a ways off.

> And even if icarus "supports" MSU1 games (though without being able to import them), then why doesn't higan?

higan acts like a real SNES. It doesn't try to heuristically figure out what the deal is with a binary blob mess with no context. All of that messy code that has nothing to do with a real SNES is moved into icarus.

It's a pain for you guys, but it's an ideological thing to me. ananke and now icarus are my best attempts at a compromise into giving everyone years of baggage and crap and incorrect mappings and support for ZIP archives and external firmware and on and on and on.

Essentially, higan's the nice store front with the curated products on display, and icarus is the slaughterhouse where the meat gets made.

> No. (See above.)

It will if you name the files the correct way. It can't know what files to look for if you don't name them in a predictable way.

> MSU1 is, IMHO. As are some old homebrewn S-DD1 video ROMs. Etc etc.

I do actually prefer when manifest.bml is used to rename MSU1 audio tracks to their purpose and/or name. Eg "01 - Battle Theme.pcm", "02 - Ein Fahrender Ritter.pcm", etc.

Might even be worth trying to rig higan to search for "track# - *.pcm" when a manifest isn't present, but I think that'd make it far less likely we could talk ikari into supporting the format :P

> My point was: The lack of documentation is a bit painful.

Yes, it definitely would help a lot. I don't have the time or patience for maintaining documentation, but that's one area that someone else who wants to help the higan project could easily participate to great effect.
Prock78

Post by Prock78 »

Hello!
Thank you for your work on this anime intro for Chrono Trigger! I'm really interested in it and wanted to give it a try on my SD2SNES... unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on my console. I downloaded and applied the patch, I tried it on the Bsnes emulator and it worked well. But on the SD2SNES, I have a blurry colored garbage instead of the anime. The sound is OK though. What could be the problem?
For info, I have a PAL (French) modded console with super CIC, and I have a SD2SNES with the most recent firmware (0.1.7b).
Thank you very much for your help! :)
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

Hi!
Prock78 wrote:But on the SD2SNES, I have a blurry colored garbage instead of the anime. The sound is OK though. What could be the problem?
For info, I have a PAL (French) modded console with super CIC, and I have a SD2SNES with the most recent firmware (0.1.7b).
Have you tried disabling the infamous in-game hooks? It should work fine without them. I can't test it out myself right now but will do so some time during the weekend. :)
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Prock78

Post by Prock78 »

Ramsis wrote: Have you tried disabling the infamous in-game hooks? It should work fine without them. I can't test it out myself right now but will do so some time during the weekend. :)
Thank you for your answer! Actually yes, the in-game hooks are disabled, I just checked it, so I have no idea about what's wrong... :?
I took a photo of the problem. Thanks again!
Attachments
2016-04-29 17.16.49.jpg
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

Hmm ... Are you using 50 or 60 Hz mode? Do other MSU1 games with streamed video (like Super Road Blaster) work? Anyway, I'm going to try it once I get home tonight. :)
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Prock78

Post by Prock78 »

Ramsis wrote:Hmm ... Are you using 50 or 60 Hz mode? Do other MSU1 games with streamed video (like Super Road Blaster) work? Anyway, I'm going to try it once I get home tonight. :)
I'm using 60Hz mode of course! :wink:
And yes Super Road Blaster works fine, and the intro anime of Zelda 3 MSU as well. Maybe something wrong in the SD2SNES 0.1.7 firmware? :?:
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

Just tried it out, and (EDIT) while buggy (sometimes there's a line of flashing pixels at the top/bottom of the screen, and sometimes audio won't play at all) it still works as expected (i.e., no worse than expected) on v0.1.7b. So ultimately, I can't help you with your specific issue. :( Sorry about that. :|

Edit: The flashing line only appears with those goddamn in-game hooks enabled -- no idea why they were enabled when I tried this a few minutes ago, but I suspect it's because I updated to v0.1.7b at the same time. So no, no glitches whatsoever, and I still can't help you, unfortunately. :(

Edit 2: Come to think of it ... what I always hated about the PSX/DS versions of the game were exactly those borderline ga-ga anime cut scenes anyway, so please, PLEASE don't count on me spending any more time on this than I already have by now. Thanks! :D
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Prock78

Post by Prock78 »

So I suppose the problem comes from my console? :(
If it is the case that's weird I've never had any other problem with the games I've played... Anyway... Thank you very much for having checked about this on your side. I'll try on another SNES as soon as I have the opportunity.
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

The project is now on GitHub, lest somebody's source code should get lost ever again. :wink:
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo »

I managed to combine this with DarkShock's audio patch so you can have the best of both worlds. Enjoy.

https://github.com/qwertymodo/ct-anime-intro/
Last edited by qwertymodo on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Señor Ventura

Post by Señor Ventura »

It would be possible to implement the cutscenes and ending of the psone's version?, or it is limited to introduce a video only one time...
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

As far as I know, the MSU1 is really just a memory mapper with the extra ability to bypass the SNES's audio hardware, so you can use data however you want, including having multiple cut scenes.
qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo »

Absolutely possible, not necessarily easy.