It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:11 am 

I'm experiencing some sort of color math emulation bug in bsnes-plus (accuracy version). I've tried this test ROM in several other emulators (no$sns, higan, snes9x, etc) and it looks correct. However, when running in bsnes-plus-accuracy the fog/clouds are displayed with a different random color on each power-on/reset/load/reload. I'm running v073+3a. It seems to be picking a random color out of thin air. The color that it randomly chooses is usually not even from the existing palette. Lol.
Attachment:
translucent.sfc [32 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:42 am 

jwdonal wrote:
I'm experiencing some sort of color math emulation bug in bsnes-plus (accuracy version). I've tried this test ROM in several other emulators (no$sns, higan, snes9x, etc) and it looks correct. However, when running in bsnes-plus-accuracy the fog/clouds are displayed with a different random color on each power-on/reset/load/reload. I'm running v073+3a. It seems to be picking a random color out of thin air. The color that it randomly chooses is usually not even from the existing palette. Lol.
Attachment:
translucent.sfc

You're not initializing $2132 (COLDATA) properly. You need to write %11100000 ($e0) to set it to black, not 0. The upper 3 bits are which channels to change and the lower 5 bits are the value to change them to. Writing 0 does absolutely nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:30 am 

Dang, beat me to it. :P Just commented here: https://github.com/devinacker/bsnes-plu ... -305454286

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:06 am 

You should probably be using an initialization routine to set initial values for all the registers as well as zero out the memory. This way you're starting with a known state. bsnes-plus is likely simulating the real hardware behavior of RAM effectively being filled with random values on power on.

There's an InitSNES routine floating around that you can use.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:29 am 

AWJ wrote:
You're not initializing $2132 (COLDATA) properly. You need to write %11100000 ($e0) to set it to black, not 0. The upper 3 bits are which channels to change and the lower 5 bits are the value to change them to. Writing 0 does absolutely nothing.
Sneaky :evil: Lol. I haven't done much (really anything) with color math yet, so that's why I didn't know about that special write behavior. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:30 am 

HihiDanni wrote:
There's an InitSNES routine floating around that you can use.

This works for me, but it's a mess due to taking code from different locations. I've cleaned it up myself but haven't put it online yet and probably won't for a while, so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12