bsnes-plus and xkas-plus (new debugger and assembler)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
CypherSignal

Re: bsnes-plus and xkas-plus (new debugger and assembler)

Post by CypherSignal »

Personally I have no major opinion on the timing of Qt5 integration, but I can give more information that may influence yours: Right now, to support JSON objects gracefully, I had to add an additional git submodule to the project to link in another JSON repo, and use the functionality that that provides. However, Qt5 provides a JSON system as well, that was absent from Qt4. If Qt5 is integrated before I prep a PR for the vscode work, I have no issue with supporting Qt5’s objects beforehand. If Qt5 is integrated after I prep a PR, then some work should be done after-the-fact to deprecate and remove the external JSON functionality I’m roping in. Aside from that it doesn’t affect me, really.
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

That's a good point, and there isn't ever going to be a non-Qt5-based release that includes the new debugger GUI, so I'd probably consider working from (or merging) the qt5 branch if possible and working from there if possible.

(Also, if you're planning a pull request, please be aware that I'm not planning to merge benny's entire fork all at once at any point, and there will likely be commits from that fork which end up being omitted entirely, depending on how I feel about certain changes/features, so you'll probably end up needing to rebase your changes at some point in the future)
CypherSignal

Post by CypherSignal »

Yeah, when I say "Based on" I mostly mean "I copied everything in disassembler/symbols and cleaned out some stuff that may not make sense in the immediate term but can be recuperated later" (e.g. breakpoints specified in the symbol files themselves, being able to write out new symbol files from the emulator). I'm not operating on the full fork or anything. There will be some collision of code, but it should not be too significant because most of the changes in that vein should be shared. Later on, when a PR is actually filed and let's say you haven't integrated any of benny's work, I can do a check to see how bad a resolve looks like if, say, all of that stuff had to come in - since that would be some work that you have to do ultimately - but that can be handled at the time, if that scenario comes to pass. Otherwise, if it comes to it that you integrate his work, I'm fine handling the resolves myself.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

CypherSignal wrote:Yeah, tell me about it... Ironically, despite the frustrations in trying to shake down the various pages and documentation on this, furiously asking "What do you want from me?!?! :x :x " the answer ended up being rather simple - but obfuscated because of much of the intended utility all of the debug adapter extension shenanigans.
(snip)
Not yet shippable, and there's some stuff that's going to change as I go, but this is kind of the skeleton of it so far (note that ExternDebugHandler::processRequests is called as part of the Application::run tick, if you're wondering about the re-entry point of it all)
Awesome thanks.

Now we just need to get the newish debugger with a Windows binary ;) So one can see the WRAM as graphics ;)
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

The current release does already have support for showing WRAM (as part of the entire CPU address space) in the graphics viewer, if that helps.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

Ooo I missed the new release... indeed it does. AWESOME thanks.
qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo »

I actually tried playing around with VS Code integration awhile back, so I'm really happy to see that somebody managed to succeed where I failed. That being said, however, I was able to get bass v15 syntax highlighting working.
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

https://github.com/devinacker/bsnes-plu ... tag/v05rc2

Apologies for such a long wait since the last release. v05 with most of the new debugging frontend goodies and other stuff is almost ready. I'm publishing this as an informal release candidate for now, since I'm about to be away from home until next week and I didn't want to just publish a major update immediately before leaving, but I still wanted to finally get this out there in some form since I had been working to wrap it up lately after finally being able to make time for it again.

Some of the stuff from Benjamin's new GUI fork (custom message logging, value graphing, etc.) isn't in yet just because I wanted to give those a little more deliberation, but I do still plan to incorporate more new stuff, hopefully soon.

There are also a couple of emulation related things (SA1 timing, for example) that are mostly ready to go in local branches but I didn't want to actually merge yet for various reasons.

Anyway, check it out, feedback and suggestions are always welcome. I'm going to try for a "real" release next week once I'm back home, but hopefully this is pretty much it unless I managed to screw something up at the last minute without realizing it. Final release will have more in-depth/updated documentation and stuff but the GitHub release page also has a preliminary changelog.

edit: replaced with slightly newer build containing some things that weren't merged into the dev branch by mistake
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

Official v05 release now available!

https://github.com/devinacker/bsnes-plu ... -05-x64.7z

I need to update the screenshots in the OP and add them to a more informative project website, but I'll be doing that shortly. (edit: done)
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/devinac ... /artifacts

Automated 64-bit Windows dev builds (w/ accuracy and compatibility profiles) are now available. Still hoping for more frequent official releases from now on, but hopefully this will make it easier for people to get their hands on the latest and greatest.
gizaha

Post by gizaha »

I think i found a bug in bsnes-plus v05 debugger related to hdma and 211b/211c multiplication.
Am at the right place? I couldn't found a way to contact byuu at github.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I don't believe byuu wrote the plus fork of BSNES... I think it was revenant.

Though, possibly the bug exists in both the main branch and the fork.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

gizaha wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:48 am I couldn't [find] a way to contact byuu at github.
https://twitter.com/ares_emu
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

Here's the issue in question, if anybody's curious:
https://github.com/devinacker/bsnes-plus/issues/252

Turns out it's not an emulation bug, but rather a fairly obscure caveat.

It's pretty well known that you can't use $211b for multiplication during mode 7, but as it turns out, multiplications can also be corrupted by HDMA if it touches either of the BG1 scroll registers in between the first and second writes to $211b, since they both modify the same "write twice" latch even when mode 7 isn't in use.

Apparently this can occur during gameplay in Killer Instinct, but I'm not sure if it ever has any effects that would be noticeable to the player.
tic

Post by tic »

It possible build a 32bit version?.

My computer don't have 64 bits.