It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:43 am 

Ello ello,

I've searched far and wide, and can't seem to find technology that lets you put multiple spc's on one rom for soundtrack/album collection play. VMG_PLAY by deadfish shitware allows this on genesis, and the classic .nsf allows this on NES.

Found this thread: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4304/ ... r-for-nes/ with SPC player for SNES, but it allows only one spc per smc/rom.

I've also stumbled upon the .sp2 file format here: viewtopic.php?t=8558 but I can't get it to work... stated that it needs a player made for the format since it needs unpacking inherently.

http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Battle/2087/Comments/ This page on BotB (the second last comment) shows B00daw saying an sp2 player is in the works... but maybe nothing came out of this? I've messaged kevtris on youtube, but no answer so far.

This is the closest I've come so far.

I know it's because the separate tracks communicate differently with the CPU, and a reset is needed for different track playing, but I was wondering if the gurus here might have any more info for me.

Thanks.
Posted on chipmusic.org, but thought I'd get more answers here.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:02 am 

The problem is that there is no way to upload new music to the SNES's SPC700 unless either
1- The music was programmed to allow it
2- rebooting the SPC700 (which requires rebooting the SNES CPU also)

The SNES PowerPak (especially with Ramsis's lovely new firmware) does support a SNES CPU controlled reboot of the entire SNES.

Correspondingly, there are only two ways to make dedicated SPC player carts:
1- Reverse-engineer all the music you want to play, and either document the or add a way to upload new music, or
2- Add some physical extra parts to the cart to assert the SNES /RESET line for a brief moment so that the SPC700 is waiting for the CPU to upload new music data

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:04 pm 

Years ago, I suggested making "The music was programmed to allow it" more common, but it never went anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:37 am 

Well the SP2 maker is still available. Possibly a per-driver-based SPC patcher that hooks into a SPC(2) player for hardware? May only be about 40-50 music drivers.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:02 am 

Ya I've got the sp2 packer. Packs spcs well, but just no way to put that ps2 on powerpak/raspberry pi (emu) and play the music. Gunna have to settle with making album folders and having 1 song per smc (hardware wise).

Thanks for the info guys.