It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

Post subject: Snes color
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:14 pm 

I know we talk a lot about NES palettes, but I was wondering, how the SNES color looks on an actual TV...

Like, if you made a perfect 'red', would it look perfectly red on a TV? If you made a 90% white (off-white) would it look any different than white?

Has anyone compared emulated color vs. actual?

Post subject: Re: Snes color
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:41 pm 

I believe that SNES video varies as much as NES video does from TV to TV, but since the original domain of the colors is RGB, there's not nearly as much dispute over what the colors should look like.

Even modern computer screens will display RGB values differently depending on the settings and manufacturers, so you can't really expect old game consoles to be particularly consistent across all the different setups.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:46 pm 

SNES-in-emulator contrast is known to be substantially larger than we actually saw on the old CRT TVs. (by which I mean, old CRT TVs had a very bright "black" and everything was correspondingly low contrast)

Fully saturated colors will have the standard "hot" colors problem. I remember some color bleed happening on bright reds and yellows (classic NTSC out-of-gamut colors). Luma-into-chroma crosstalk should be the same as the NES.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:54 pm 

FWIW, blargg's NTSC libraries include SNES.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:08 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
SNES-in-emulator contrast is known to be substantially larger than we actually saw on the old CRT TVs. (by which I mean, old CRT TVs had a very bright "black" and everything was correspondingly low contrast)

Fully saturated colors will have the standard "hot" colors problem. I remember some color bleed happening on bright reds and yellows (classic NTSC out-of-gamut colors). Luma-into-chroma crosstalk should be the same as the NES.

Don't all colors bleed on NTSC TV screens? It's just more noticeable on the hot ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:13 pm 

Yeah, the limited chroma bandwidth definitely should cause bleed all the time.

Not certain why it was more noticeable with hot colors. Maybe they got "stuck" in the decoder or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:57 pm 

lidnariq wrote:

That's funny; I have the exact opposite problem. My laptop screen, which looks fine by itself, has a poor black level and dim white compared with my CRT TV.

A legitimately old CRT, perhaps with the brightness turned up and the contrast turned down, might give the effect you describe. My TV is from 2001 or so, and is adjusted somewhat from the factory settings.

There's also the question of gamma correction; TVs would drop darker colours towards black, and bsnes has a gamma filter for this reason. Very dark colours can be hard to make out on a real TV unless you crank the brightness.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:50 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
Not certain why it was more noticeable with hot colors. Maybe they got "stuck" in the decoder or something.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ne.svg.png
In the same range it takes to go from red to yellow/orange it barely would go from blue to azure. So I guess that's why, lack of enough room.