Related:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:01 pm 

saturnu wrote:
it's ok that you are a linux beginner

Da lachen ja die Hühner. :mrgreen:

(See my GitHub profile for more)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:03 pm 

Ramsis wrote:
Does ucon64 require root privileges? Does it require any workaround BS (sorry)? No! No, it doesn't. I know because I've been using ucon64 with my SWC devices for ages, even on 64-bit Linux systems. :twisted:

So why would any new transfer software require higher user privileges than ucon64 does? … Right. Don't use this software (sorry, saturnu). :|
I'm sorry, why do you think that you should by default be allowed as an ordinary user to connect to a serial port when that serial port might be used by something privileged (such as, say, a cellular modem containing your network connection) ?

That's why you should explicitly set it up such that you can access the serial port. There is no other way to opt in to the elevated permissions necessary to talk to the serial port. (Go ahead and try. Any such program will either fail, or be setgid)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:05 pm 

Ramsis wrote:
koitsu wrote:
I covered this in:
Quote:
I won't get into an explanation of how to change the file permissions on a device if you *really need* be able to do this as a non-root user (devfs or systemd on Linux is responsible for that).

...but now I'm apparently having to do exactly that.

No.

Again, check out ucon64. There's just no need for root permissions in this day and age. :!:

Show me how you use ucon64 with a device (serial port, parallel port, etc.) on *IX. Then show me the permissions of that device (ls -l).

Your reluctance to accept how *IX is designed (the security aspect of devices), as well as the fact that you can solve this easily through configurations (it's not difficult! This is UNIX 101 stuff), is cute. The reason devices are special on *IX is because *IX as a multi-user system, where you do not want and end-user doing something like, say, writing zeros to the entire hard disk device; serial ports, printer ports, USB ports, VGA framebuffers, ttys (each users' shell gets one), the on-board speaker, etc. all fall under this category. It's like you're actually/intentionally being belligerent to how to solve the problem both 1) correctly, and 2) securely. :\ You DO NOT have to use sudo, but if you don't, you have to make sure your Ramsis user is in the correct group and the device has the proper R/W permissions for the group. Seriously: that's it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:44 am 

@Ramsis: How do you use the sd2snes serial console or program it using OpenOCD? The same problems apply there. OpenOCD brings its own udev rules for a number of FT2232 adapters though, so you might just not have noticed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:01 am 

saturnu wrote:
koitsu wrote:
something that isn't done much any more.

it's an easy way to get around using extra proprietary drivers or libusb (on any of the major os). ^^
... and you don't have to hassle with driver signing by microsoft (or the installation of unsigned drivers).

btw: the project has a pid :D
http://pid.codes/org/ikari_01/

Oh, that's really cool. I've been looking for somebody to do something like that ever since the USB-IF racket revoked the MCS VID (not that I really care, I bought a couple anyway, in addition to the handful of freebies I've gotten from Microchip). I really hope the way that they're managing the project keeps them from running afoul of the USB-IF the way MCS did, though even if they did, they'll probably just continue on anyway like MCS has.