Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
adam_smasher

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by adam_smasher »

The principle of charity would suggest that Kismet meant precisely "Expecting a sub-99$ FPGA unit [for hardware with the complexity found on an SNES]".
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

Hi everybody! I have a new update video for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ae5iUe8diY

Enjoy!
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

Great new video, the core is looking extremely promising. One minor issue deals with the "guards chase you" sound effect in Zelda, your FPGA's output is noticeably more metallic than the real SNES. It is as if there is a low-pass filter that may not be applied.
nothingtosay

Post by nothingtosay »

I don't think the SNES's low-pass filtering is very strong in the audible range (aside from the Gaussian interpolation done in mixing which functions as one for each sample), but there's aliasing all over the place in the audio of that video. Is that what it actually sounds like, jwdonal? Or is it maybe a byproduct of zero order hold resampling from 32 kHz to 44.1 kHz in the capture device or something? Or is the interpolation in mixing maybe not implemented?
HihiDanni

Post by HihiDanni »

Yeah, if it sounds metallic it could just be a case of bad aliasing.
SNES NTSC 2/1/3 1CHIP | serial number UN318588627
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

Great Hierophant wrote:Great new video, the core is looking extremely promising. One minor issue deals with the "guards chase you" sound effect in Zelda, your FPGA's output is noticeably more metallic than the real SNES. It is as if there is a low-pass filter that may not be applied.
So I briefly looked into this and I really don't hear what you're referring to. There is only a single short instance of that sound in the recording at around 9:19. I listened to the same sound effect from the following sources:

- Snes9x
- BSNES-debugger (accuracy profile)
- Real SNES using sd2snes
- My FPGA SNES

All of them sound _exactly_ identical to me and I visually inspected their waveforms in audacity as well. I see nothing strange at all. It sounds just as "metallic" on real SNES as it does everywhere else - assuming I understand what you mean by "metallic".

In any case, I'm not sure it makes sense to perform audiophile analyses on a recording that's probably been through a dozen different filters and resamplers by the time it makes it from my FPGA SNES, through my capture card, through screen recorder software, volume adjustment, mixing, video format conversion, youtube processing, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc to your speakers...? O.o
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

jwdonal wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:Great new video, the core is looking extremely promising. One minor issue deals with the "guards chase you" sound effect in Zelda, your FPGA's output is noticeably more metallic than the real SNES. It is as if there is a low-pass filter that may not be applied.
So I briefly looked into this and I really don't hear what you're referring to. There is only a single short instance of that sound in the recording at around 9:19. I listened to the same sound effect from the following sources:

- Snes9x
- BSNES-debugger (accuracy profile)
- Real SNES using sd2snes
- My FPGA SNES

All of them sound _exactly_ identical to me and I visually inspected their waveforms in audacity as well. I see nothing strange at all. It sounds just as "metallic" on real SNES as it does everywhere else - assuming I understand what you mean by "metallic".

In any case, I'm not sure it makes sense to perform audiophile analyses on a recording that's probably been through a dozen different filters and resamplers by the time it makes it from my FPGA SNES, through my capture card, through screen recorder software, volume adjustment, mixing, video format conversion, youtube processing, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc to your speakers...? O.o
I think that all of those are a factor. I originally tried the sound effect on my TV's built in speaker, and after reading this I tried it again, but this time using a pair of decent speakers that came bundled with an Oppo receiver. The sound was noticeably more metallic, a little more than your Youtube video. This would make sense, the guards are supposed to be wearing metal armor that should clank.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

I would be interested in buying this console when it comes out. One suggestion that I have, would be to also include an SD card slot for roms and other expansions similar to how the Analogue NT NES has an SD card slot.
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

Erockbrox wrote:One suggestion that I have, would be to also include an SD card slot...
SD card interface is already working. So you're welcome. ;)

Here are some pics of me playing VeriSNES on my 70” TV. My TV only supports 720p and 1080i – no 1080p. :-/

https://imgur.com/a/QYcja
foldor

Post by foldor »

Looks like Analogue is starting up production for their own take on an SNES FPGA clone with the Super NT. I'm curious how it will fare in comparison to the VeriSNES. Do you happen to have any ideas? They don't claim 100% compatibility, but they also don't clarify which games aren't compatible either. I'm wondering it's just the stuff that used obscure hardware peripherals like SatellaView, or Sufami Turbo games.

What's everyone here's thoughts on it?
retrorgb

Post by retrorgb »

The Analogue appears to be HDMI-only. If it supports FX games and the SD2SNES (with MSU audio), then it should be a good solution for flat-screen owners.

I'd personally prefer something with 240p support and more video output options.
adam_smasher

Post by adam_smasher »

Happy they're doing it.

Sad it's not open source.

Disappointed by how bland it looks. Gimme brushed metal plz :(
calima

Post by calima »

With someone else taking first mover on the market, sadly not much chance for you to get a proper payback anymore.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

adam_smasher wrote:Happy they're doing it.

If it's 400$ because of brushed metal, give me a 100-200$ plastic case, please.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

vanfanel wrote:
adam_smasher wrote:Happy they're doing it.

If it's 400$ because of brushed metal, give me a 100-200$ plastic case, please.
The Analogue Super Nt is $189.99 USD. The chassis is plastic, with options for SNES, SFC, matte black, and transparent.

I think we should split Super Nt discussion to a separate thread.