Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
jwdonal

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by jwdonal »

I was already aware about 9mo or so ago that kevtris was working on FPGA SNES. I had inside knowledge from Taber at Analogue but I told him I would keep it secret. However, even having that knowledge I kind of always thought it should have been obvious what he was working on - I mean what else would he be working on? O.o

In any case, the two consoles have entirely different goals. My goal is to get the entire SNES design and additional information open sourced. Super Nt is obviously not going to be open sourced. Lol.

More VeriSNES updates to come!

Cya!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

jwdonal wrote:I was already aware about 9mo or so ago that kevtris was working on FPGA SNES. I had inside knowledge from Taber at Analogue but I told him I would keep it secret. However, even having that knowledge I kind of always thought it should have been obvious what he was working on - I mean what else would he be working on? O.o

In any case, the two consoles have entirely different goals. My goal is to get the entire SNES design and additional information open sourced. Super Nt is obviously not going to be open sourced. Lol.

More VeriSNES updates to come!

Cya!
I put in a order for the Super NT anyway, but I still want to see how your project progresses. If you eventually release FPGA code for it, it may create an opportunity to "root" the SuperNT with it, assuming kevtris doesn't just do the same thing he did with the Analogue NT anyway.
I come from the net. Through systems, peoples and cities to this place.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Just make your SNES console just a little bit cheaper than the competitors and then you will win in the end. Hahaha

I'm sure you will do fine and have the communities support. Especially after all the hard work you did. It is quite an accomplishment.
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

Erockbrox wrote:I'm sure you will do fine and have the communities support. Especially after all the hard work you did. It is quite an accomplishment.
Thanks for the support! Like I said, since I already knew about it nothing has changed for me. I'm just gonna keep on doing what I do! I'm happy for Kevin, he's awesome!

:beer:
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

Erockbrox wrote:Just make your SNES console just a little bit cheaper than the competitors and then you will win in the end. Hahaha

I'm sure you will do fine and have the communities support. Especially after all the hard work you did. It is quite an accomplishment.
One stand out feature I'd like to see is Analog Video output. It looks as those the Super NT is going to be HDMI only which is a major bummer. I know Analog Displays are obsolete now but support for them is still very nice to have as the sorts of people interested in these things are often the type to have quality CRTs in their collection of equipment.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Unless it uses HDCP (which it probably won't), you can use your analog computer monitors through an HDMI to VGA transcoder.
adam_smasher

Post by adam_smasher »

Presumably (?) that'd add some lag, and one of the big reasons why people would want a hard-SNES/CRT combo is to minimize lag.
tepples

Post by tepples »

As I understand it, 480p has the same timings over HDMI and VGA. This means a properly made converter would introduce less than a scanline of lag.

Post by 93143 »

Would that work with the Super Scope?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Theoretically you should be able to convert each 8b10b chunk sent via TMDS over DVI/HDMI into an analog pixel with only a pixel's worth of latency. (This is what would be necessary for superscope functionality)

I have no idea if anyone does this outside of trivial demonstrations using a HDMI deserializer and a high-speed DAC. There seems to be a certain level of laziness that just leads to people throwing things into a framebuffer (and adding latency) even when it's unnecessary.
marvelus10

Post by marvelus10 »

Some of the last Sony 4:3 CRT TV's had HDMI inputs, I always keep my open for these on Craigslist and such.
tepples

Post by tepples »

93143 wrote:Would that work with the Super Scope?
No. Unlike the Zapper, which I would expect to work on a 31 kHz CRT receiving a "100% scanlines" signal, the Super Scope is synchronized to the 5.37 MHz pixel clock, which is doubled even in 480p. You'd be able to hit only half the width of the screen, and even for that, the horizontal coordinate would be incorrect (squeezed horizontally) unless software is patched to compensate.

But in practice, whether Super Scope is a priority depends on the popularity of games that require the Super Scope. Which such games are compelling?
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

marvelus10 wrote:Some of the last Sony 4:3 CRT TV's had HDMI inputs, I always keep my open for these on Craigslist and such.
Using these offers virtually no advantage over a modern HDTV, except for the potential appeal of phosphors themselves. These have image processors and scalers just the same as an HDTV, with a different output stage being the only difference.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

tepples wrote:
93143 wrote:Would that work with the Super Scope?
No. Unlike the Zapper, which I would expect to work on a 31 kHz CRT receiving a "100% scanlines" signal, the Super Scope is synchronized to the 5.37 MHz pixel clock, which is doubled even in 480p. You'd be able to hit only half the width of the screen, and even for that, the horizontal coordinate would be incorrect (squeezed horizontally) unless software is patched to compensate.

But in practice, whether Super Scope is a priority depends on the popularity of games that require the Super Scope. Which such games are compelling?
240p is part of the HDMI spec. Some HDMI -> VGA converters support 240p, and will output a 15 kHz signal. All you've got to do to get that on a PVM is use a sync combiner. At that point, I should think the Super Scope would work fine, assuming the converter didn't use a framebuffer.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

The Super Scope does have some nice games, two of which are Battle Clash and the sequel Metal Combat.

I definitely think any SNES clone should output analog RGB and should be compatible with the Super Scope on a CRT. The Super Scope can be a lot of fun.