It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

Related:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:14 pm 

So the carts have been recovered:
https://byuu.org/emulation/preservation/found-package/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 pm 

But they are now truly worthless. After that long time, it's more than likely that the thieves (or the post office staff) have replaced all ROMs and memory controllers, or even swapped the PCBs and stickers on all carts. At this point, it's impossible to tell if the carts are still containing any authentic hardware, and it would be almost easier to re-create all PAL games from scratch up. Panic: now!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:05 pm 

nocash wrote:
But they are now truly worthless. After that long time, it's more than likely that the thieves (or the post office staff) have replaced all ROMs and memory controllers, or even swapped the PCBs and stickers on all carts. At this point, it's impossible to tell if the carts are still containing any authentic hardware, and it would be almost easier to re-create all PAL games from scratch up. Panic: now!

Fortunately, the 100 copies of Kevin Keegan's Player Manager that they get secretly replaced with would still be worth $10,000, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:11 pm 

I'm fairly certain USPS would have just washed their hands of it if it didn't start getting media attention. Persistence paid off though.

That said, I think the next time people send multiple cartridges in the mail internationally, we need to make sure photos of the cart, the parcel and the mailed package are made and tracked.

For example the cart I ordered from Japan took 49 days, registered post, while another cart took 35 days (not registered) and even the SFC arrived sooner than both carts did and they were all bought at the same time from the came country. International mail is a crapshoot.

I'd probably suggest that for more valuable carts, send the cart reader and instructions instead. At least a cart reader can be replaced.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:12 pm 

nocash wrote:
it would be almost easier to re-create all PAL games from scratch up.

Is this a veiled request for a SNESdev compo, or just paranoia?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:13 pm 

Glad to hear that this got resolved.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:51 pm 

Congratulations on your recovery! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:47 pm 

nocash wrote:

Don't worry, I'm going to be delayering every single IC and capturing electron scan images of each and every chip inside all 100 cartridges.

Hey ... I said I'd return the games to the donor once finished, but I never said they'd still be in working order, did I? ;)

Quote:
I'm fairly certain USPS would have just washed their hands of it if it didn't start getting media attention. Persistence paid off though.

Absolutely. Though I am probably not one to talk after presuming this was most likely theft, when it wasn't :/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:24 pm 

byuu wrote:
nocash wrote:

Don't worry, I'm going to be delayering every single IC and capturing electron scan images of each and every chip inside all 100 cartridges.

Hey ... I said I'd return the games to the donor once finished, but I never said they'd still be in working order, did I? ;)

But what if they stole your authentic set of PAL games and replaced them with another authentic set of PAL games?! You'd never know if they were stolen or not!

You'd better hire someone to steal them from you, just to be safe. That way you'll know for sure that they were stolen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:09 pm 

Use Amercan Made (tm) cardboard boxes next time.
Certainly not boxes with that wimpy Yurop linerboard.

I lost 120 games before with presumably USPS from an ebay sale about 8 years ago.
But they were all EA sports games and I was only going to use their shells.
Nothing of value was lost.

(except my super affordable flash cart project idea).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:49 am 

Quote:
You'd better hire someone to steal them from you, just to be safe. That way you'll know for sure that they were stolen.

Brilliant! I like the cut of your jib.

Quote:
But they were all EA sports games and I was only going to use their shells.

Too bad you weren't in Columbus, OH six years ago. When I was building the US set, this flea market vendor had something like 600 SNES sports carts for sale for around $1-2 each. I'm certain if you offered to buy them out, they'd halve the price of each one for you.

Probably already been raided by this point. I should have done so myself for back shell swaps. Oh well.

I really want to know the story of how this person got so many SNES sports games. I didn't bother to ask then. But yeah, literally 100% sports. No other games whatsoever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:12 am 

Revenant wrote:
Fortunately, the 100 copies of Kevin Keegan's Player Manager that they get secretly replaced with would still be worth $10,000, of course.

Probably more than that. Those undead zombie carts from the year 2017 incident might go for $800/pcs. But yeah, I am also slightly concerned about the preservation project ending up with most PAL titles being identified as soccer-clones.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:07 am 

I'm very glad to know everything ended up fine!! :lol:
Wouldn't it be a better idea to split the work with some other emu authors?
Does any lives in Germany?
In-Country shipping should be safer and cheaper, and other emu-authors should not have much difficulty with homebrew hardware.
I think it's a nice idea, what do you guys think?